29. One Hell Of A Date

NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE

Michael

Excitement.

All I could feel was excitement as I stood in the garage with a blindfold wrapped around my head. For a week straight, My parents had been hinting about a special surprise for me, something that they thought I deserved as well as needed. I already had an inkling of what it was—a car. I had been telling my parents since I was 16 that I needed a car, and they finally got it for me three years later. Man, was I happy? No more asking for rides and no more walking everywhere.

"Alright, son! You ready?" My dad asked as he
patted my shoulder twice. I nodded so fast that
my head almost rolled off of my shoulders.

"Yes! I'm anxious. Can I just take this thing off of my face already?" I asked.

The excitement I felt was making my patience
rapidly dwindle. "Yes, take it off." He said.

Immediately I snatched the blindfold from around
my face.

What I saw before I made my smile instantly drop.

What the hell is this.

"SURPRISE!" My parents shouted instantaneously.

Instead of seeing a car as I expected. I saw a shiny
red scooter or moped, whatever the hell you called these things. It looked like an unfinished motorcycle.

After staring at it for a few more seconds, I realized that it was a Suzuki. A goddamn Suzuki.

My parents never failed at getting me something I
did not want. If I asked for a hot dog, they would bring me a burger. If I asked for a pair of running shoes, they would bring me some tap dancing shoes.

If I wanted a car, they would bring me a Suzuki.

Oh my god.

"Now, son, You always told your mom and me that
you wanted something to get you around. Well, now you have it. It's good on gas, and it comes with a nice helmet for safety!" He walked towards the Suzuki and placed his large hand against some handle.

He squeezed the handle causing it to make a
beeping noise. "It has a loud horn and lights for
the nighttime. Woooo whewwww! Boy, you went
be riding clean out here in these streets."

Kill me now.

My mother began to speak. "Awe, the sweetheart,
he's so happy that he can't even speak!" She said to
my father while lightly pinching my cheeks.