37. It's Hard To Say Goodbye

NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE

Michael

Day 3

All I had was one more day until I left Indiana.

The excitement I once had was completely gone now.

It dwindled into the ashes of nothing, and it was
my fault. I fucked up big this time, and I knew in my heart, there was no coming back. I laid restlessly against my bed with a telephone pressed against my ear. Abhaya's number was on speed dial, and I had been calling her at every little second of the hour. I had called over 100 times, and she had yet to pick up a single one.

"I hate you so much that if you died...I wouldn't even cry at your fucking funeral."

Those words were stuck in my mind. Imprinted
inside of my head like a tattoo. It's all I could ever really think about. Abhaya hated me. She truly did.

I placed my hands over my eyes as I felt myself in the midst of crying once again.

My eyes were swollen and red. My nose was runny.
I looked horrible but felt even worse on the inside. I felt like something inside of me had died. How would I make it in this world knowing that the only girl I have ever truly loved didn't love me anymore? I lost more than just a girlfriend. I lost my best friend. I lost my other half. I lost my soulmate.

And it was all my fault.

The sound of the telephone ringing grasped my attention within an instant. I wiped my tear-filled
eyes and slightly sniffled before answering.

Please let this be Abhaya.

But it wasn't; it was Lily.

"Michael, baby?" She said.

I deeply sighed as I pinched the bridge of my noise.

"Lily, what do you want?" I said coldly. I didn't want to hear her voice or even think about her.

"I've been calling you all day and yesterday. I know that you leave tomorrow afternoon, and I wanted to take you somewhere lovely tonight before you go."

She said.

I shook my head at the thought. "Lily, the night we shared a few nights ago was a mistake, alright. Just leave me the fuck alone." It went silent on the other line for a few seconds before suddenly I heard some crying on the other end. Not that I cared.