18. The Truth Hurts

NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE

Abhaya

Rain was harshly plummeting from the grey skies
as I walked through the heart of Gary, Indiana. The downtown area seems so bleak for it to be a summer day. This day is chilling, and that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand for some reason.

Why is it so chilly? And why does my heart feel so broken? The pain within my chest is so unbearable that I start to feel physical pain. The breaths that I take are starting to become shorter, and my knees are growing weaker, So I lean down, placing my hands over my knees to prevent myself from falling over.

I'm drenched in liquid caused by the ferocious tears
of the sky. My clothes are so wet that it sticks to my skin and causes the already cool weather to become almost freezing. My eyes scan the scenery around me to see no one in sight. It's almost like a ghost town.

The feeling of fear suddenly consumes my entire body as my name is unexpectedly called out into a fit of yells.

"Abhaya! Abhaya!" The voice is so familiar, yet
I can't put a face to it. I lean up and quickly turn around to see someone running towards me.

They're running so fast, and it alerts me.

Whoever is running cannot be pictured. A shadow with a familiar voice that I cannot recognize is suddenly in front of me. Two arms are wrapped around my body so tightly that it starts to hurt.

This shadow is holding onto me for dear life, and suddenly a shot goes off.

The shadow that was once holding me tightly is
now slumped in my arms. My eyes divert to my hands that are holding the shadow up.

They're covered in a liquid form of crimson.

I scream.