Chapter 2 (The Winter Code)

"Frostpaw, I still can't believe I'm out of the nursery." Breathed Snowpaw. "I know Snowpaw, we've been in there forever!" Replied Frostpaw. Moonclaw rushed into the apprentices den. "There's going to be a battle!" Panted Moonclaw. "My first battle!" Cried Snowpaw. "Who are we fighting?" Asked Frostpaw curiously. "AutumnClan" Replied Moonclaw. "AutumnClan?" Wondered Frostpaw. "WinterClan's enemy." Answered Moonclaw. "Why are they attacking us?" Asked Snowpaw. "They want Silverwhisker's half Clan kits." Meowed Moonclaw. "They're after Blizzardkit, Whitekit, Crystalkit and Stormkit." Added Moonclaw. "Why?" Asked Snowpaw. "Can't they leave us in peace?" "I guess not." Replied Moonclaw. "Who's the father?" Wondered Snowpaw. "Crowtail." Answered Moonclaw. Suddenly, AutumnClan warriors entered camp. "Stay near me or Iceshine!" Hissed Moonclaw as he dodged a swiping paw. "Look, it's a AutumnClan apprentice!" Remarked Snowpaw. They ran over to the apprentice. "Hello." Mewed Frostpaw. "Hi." Replied the apprentice. "I'm Frostpaw and this is my sister Snowpaw, what's your name?" Asked Frostpaw. "I'm Maplepaw." Mewed the apprentice. "Are you gonna fight me?" She shivered. Her calico fur rippled along her spine. "Why would we?" Asked Snowpaw, looking confused. "Aren't we fighting... Began Maplepaw. "Maplepaw! Stop chatting with other Clan cats and join the battle! Hissed a dark gray tom. "Sorry, Ashclaw." Mewed Maplepaw. "You should be!" Ashclaw hissed. "I said I was sorry!" Growled Maplepaw. " Be loyal!" Ashclaw growled. "Or the consequences will be severe! Are you coming or not?" "Coming!" Called Maplepaw. She cast a glance towards Snowpaw and Frostpaw. "Bye." She mewed. Then she was gone. "She was nice." Commented Snowpaw. "Yes." Agreed Frostpaw. "Take that you AutumnClan tom!" Hissed Snowpaw. The tom looked at them. "Get off of me you fox face!" "Snowpaw! Frostpaw!" Called Iceshine. "Where's Moonclaw?" "Fighting that AutumnClan she-cat." "Beewing?" Asked Iceshine. "A yellow and black she-cat?" Added Snowpaw. "AutumnClan, retreat!" Yowled Leafstar. Iciclestar leaped onto the rock. "I have some new warriors to announce!" Her gaze swept over Frostpaw and Snowpaw. "Frostpaw, you have also trained hard, your warrior name will be Frostpelt. Snowpaw, you have trained hard, your warrior name will be Snowpetal." Iciclestar purred. "Snowpetal. Frostpelt!" "Snowpetal. Frostpelt!" Cheered the Clan. "Aren't you happy?" Asked Snowpetal. "We got our warrior names!" Added Snowpetal. "I wonder if Maplepaw got her warrior name." Confessed Frostpelt. "Well, tonight's the gathering, so we'll find out." Replied Snowpetal. "Cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather here beneath high rock for a Clan meeting." Called Iciclestar. "Tonight's gathering. Moonclaw, Cloudstorm, Birchfur, Snowpetal, Frostpelt, Lilyfrost and Waterwillow. Mewed Iciclestar. "Follow me." Snowpetal and Birchfur seem really close." Observed Frostpelt. Snowpetal and Birchfur padded alongside each other and purring. Cloudstorm purred. "Birchfur's a good warrior." "Snowpetal is so close to Birchfur now, will she still hang out with me?" Whispered Frostpelt. "That lays in the paws of StarClan, Frostpelt." Answered Cloudstorm. "She's busy hanging out with Birchfur!" Sobbed Frostpelt. "Frostpelt. Listen, she loves you very much but you should start concentrating on your life." "But she's my sister!" Scowled Frostpelt. "And you're both my daughters." Replied Cloudstorm. "Cats of all Clans." Called Iciclestar. "I have two new warriors to announce." "Frostpelt and Snowpetal." The Clans cheered. Leafstar, leader of AutumnClan stepped forward. "I have three new warriors to announce as well." "Shadestripe, Willowfern and Mapledawn." Mapledawn's eyes were filled with embarrassment while Shadestripe and Willowfern looked happy to be called out in front of the Clans. Snowpetal was huddled close to Birchfur, mewing "Mapledawn! Mapledawn!" Mapledawn came over to them. "Hi." She mewed. "Snowpetal is a nice name." She added. "Thanks.. Snowpetal began. Berrystar, leader of SummerClan Interrupted. "Leaf-bare has been better than last moon, Blossomcloud has given birth to two kits. Lavenderkit and Heatherkit." Petalstar, leader of SpringClan mewed. "I have nothing to report other than Dandilionpaw and Amberwillow driving a badger off our territory and Ashwing had three kits : Rabbitkit, Swankit and Silkkit. "The gathering has ended!" Called Leafstar. "Snowpetal, can I talk to you?" Asked Frostpelt. "Of course." Replied Snowpetal. "I feel like you're too close to Birchfur now, he's like becoming your mate." Frostpelt pointed out. "I still love you, Frostpelt, but I need time for a mate. I want to have kits of my own, start a new generation." Replied Snowpetal softly. "Will you still have time for me?" Begged Frostpelt. "I hope so." Answered Snowpetal. "Your time will come." Breathed Snowpetal. "By the way, Winterstar came to me in a dream, she said meet two cats from each Clan at sun-high tomorrow" Added Snowpetal. Frostpelt stared dumbstruck. "I had the same dream." She whispered quietly. "Really?" Snowpetal's eyes widened. "Yes." Mewed Frostpelt. "I would never have realized... Began Snowpetal. "Snowpetal?" Asked Birchfur. "Well, bye Frostpelt." Sighed Snowpetal as she began walking with Birchfur again. 

The next day...

"Snowpetal! Wake up!" Frostpelt mewed urgently. And added. "It's sunhigh!" Snowpetal sat up, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. "Is it time to go?" She asked. "We have to go on our journey." Replied Frostpelt. Cloudstorm who was sleeping beside Snowpetal mumbled and turned over. "Shh!" Hissed Frostpelt. "I am!" Replied Snowpetal. The two sisters crept silently out of camp. They saw two cats from each Clan. "Mapledawn!" Exclaimed Frostpelt. "Snowpetal! Frostpelt!" She purred. Amberwillow, Dandilionpaw and Shadestripe looked at the warriors from SummerClan. "I'm Flowerpaw." Said the yellow tabby. "I'm Seedspring." Mewed the tabby. "Did you all get the dream?" Asked Snowpetal anxiously. "Summerstar came to me." Mewed Flowerpaw as she twitched her ears toward her Clanmate. "Same." Meowed Seedspring. "Springstar came to me." Replied Amberwillow as she nodded to her apprentice. Dandilionpaw blinked and nodded. "Autumnstar came to us." Mapledawn mewed and pointed to her brother Shadestripe. "And Winterstar came to me and Frostpelt." Answered Snowpetal. "So, are we going on a journey?" Whispered Amberwillow looking concerned. "What will we tell the Clans if we die?" "Don't worry, I'll protect you." Mewed Shadestripe as he pressed closer to her. "Get away from me! We're from different Clans!" Snapped Amberwillow. Shadestripe looked startled. "So?" He breathed. "Shut up already!" Spat Amberwillow. "Sorry, that was unnecessary." She apologised. Mapledawn looked at them. "Where shall we start first?" She pointed out sounding annoyed. Shadestripe looked at his paws. "I just wanted to help." He mewed quietly to his sister. Mapledawn's eyes softened a little. "I know." She purred. Dandilionpaw stood there. Suddenly a cat appeared out of the shadows. "Rivershine!" Whispered Flowerpaw. "Petalstar ordered me to come along." Explained Rivershine with sparkling blue eyes. Shadestripe glared at her. "We don't need an extra cat from SpringClan!" He hissed. Seedspring jumped in front of Rivershine. "She will come!" He insisted. "Fine! But SpringClan doesn't get any advantages." He sighed. "Of course we won't! Mewed Seedspring looking surprised. Frostpelt huddled beside Snowpetal. "It's cold." Shivered Frostpelt. "Can we just get going? I'm freezing out here!"