Chapter 25 (Frostpelt's Story)

Loonkit's tabby and white pelt was pressed against Frostpelt's. Moonclaw entered the nursery with a squirrel, and dropped it at Frostpelt's paws. "It's for you and the kits." He mewed. "Can you stay with the kits while I go on patrol?" Asked Frostpelt. "I'm a tom. I can't give them milk.  You could ask Lilyfrost to, she has three kits." Mewed Moonclaw looking faintly amused. Frostpelt heaved herself out of her nest and padded towards Lilyfrost. "Lilyfrost, can you look after my kits? I'd like to go on a patrol." Mewed Frostpelt. "Of course." Replied Lilyfrost. When the kits were snuggled into the nursery, Frostpelt bounded outside to her mate. "Can I go on a patrol with Snowpetal?" She asked. Moonclaw nodded. "Do you want to go on a hunting patrol or border patrol?" Asked Moonclaw. "Hunting maybe." Responded Frostpelt. Snowpetal looked confused. "Frostpelt, what are you doing out of the nursery?" She asked. "I wanted to go on patrol with you!" Hissed Frostpelt. "Okay." Mewed Snowpetal. "I might have Birchfur's kits in a couple of moons." She mewed. "We'll be in the nursery together." She added. "One more thing, Moonclaw, can I go to the gathering since Snowpetal's going?" Asked Frostpelt. "What about our kits?" Asked Moonclaw softly. "They're fine with Lilyfrost! Now can I?!" Demanded Frostpelt. Frostpelt and Snowpetal ran into the forest. "I can smell rabbit!" Mewed Snowpetal. Frostpelt looked around. "Moonclaw is so cranky today!" Spat Frostpelt. "He loves you and wants to keep you safe." Commented Snowpetal gently. "Well, I don't enjoy him fretting over me! I can take care of myself!" Frostpelt snarled. "I think he's well aware of that." Replied Snowpetal. Frostpelt rolled her eyes. Snowpetal dropped into a crouch. "I see the rabbit!" Snowpetal whispered. She pounced on the rabbit and gave it the killing bite. "That would be good for the elders." Mewed Frostpelt.  "You should go back to your kits." Responded Snowpetal. "Fine!" Frostpelt stomped away through the reeds.