Chapter 19

🦐 🦀 🦑

-----
🇷🇺 Russia 🇷🇺
-----
After I finished that damned bar, I ended up just staring out the window. America was stubborn, for certain I could say that. For some reason I replayed incident in my head again, but I pushed the thought away. It didn't belong there. (Ha, you can't catch me gay thoughts-)

"Do you have something else you want to do for the next couple hours?" I hear him say. I turned my head over and shrugged. He looked like he was desperately trying to come up with an idea. I just waited to hear his input. Resting my arm on the window sill with the cool breeze blowing across my face.

"You could sing for us." He said, snickering.

"Ha... haha... yeah, no." I responded. I still couldn't believe he'd even listened to my singing the first time, and I only hoped he wasn't seriously asking me to do it again.

Too much anxiety.

"Darn." He said, snapping. I rolled my eyes and leaned back farther so the cold air would blow down the back of my turtleneck. It was refreshing to say the least.

"I could watch you draw." He said again. I rolled my eyes a little.

"Would someone as hyper as you really be entertained by sitting here and watching me draw?" I asked sarcastically, drawing one knee up. He just smiled at me.

"Nope."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, letting out he breath I'd been holding. He started nudging me with his elbow. "Please?"

"What would I even draw?" I sighed. He tapped his chin for a moment.

"Whatever comes to your mind?"

"Many of things come to my mind."

"Well... draw some of those many things."

I begrudgingly grabbed my notebook and flipped it open to the next blank page. I grabbed my pencil and checked the led all the way around the make sure it wasn't completely dull, and I turned to him to meet his excited gaze.

"Only because you asked so nicely." I said, causing him to laugh a little.

"Work your Russian magic, Russkie." He said, crossing his legs and looking at my notebook with his head resting on his palm. I thought for a long moment before starting to make a sketch. He inched closer over time until I finished the doodle, but it didn't take very long to make.

I heard him start laughing as I finished the drawing

I heard him start laughing as I finished the drawing. I looked over just to catch the amused look on his face.

Well, that did the trick.

"Is that a... Slav bear?" He snorted. I suppressed the urge to smile.

"It's a self portrait." I said with a serious look on my face. He looked at me, struggling to breathe, before he burst out laughing again. I had to stop myself from laughing as well because his laugh was nearly contagious.

"Shhh, shhh." I said, trying to cover his mouth. "Украина и Канада are downstairs still. You're too loud." I heard myself chuckling a little as I held my finger to my mouth. He took a deep breath to calm down before looking back at the drawing.

"Okay okay, as beautiful as it is, what does it say?"

"Kokova moya zhizn', what is my life." I said. He rolled his eyes, almost giggling.

"What a masterpiece. I give you ten outta ten." He gave me the okay hand sign and I just nodded. He took on a thoughtful face for a moment. I was about to turn the page again before he spoke out.

"What did that other thing say?" He asked, looking down at my book still. I raised one eyebrow. "What thing?"

He reached over and flipped backwards through my book, looking for something. I watched in confusion until he stopped on a drawing and pointed.

"What does that say?" He asked again. I looked at the drawing he was referring to.

He saw that drawing?

It was the drawing of my father, crumbling away, with the caption "я люблю тебя...". I took a slow breath, thinking if I should actually tell him or not. I felt his gaze on the side of my face as I looked at the drawing again, pushing the memories away.

"It's nothing important. Don't worry about it." I replied, shaking my hand dismissively. He just pursed his lips before letting out a slow 'okay'.

"We should check on our siblings, yes?" I asked after an awkward moment of silence, closing the book and standing up. He blinked at me as I headed quietly to the door, but he was up a moment later and followed me right on my heels. I walked silently down the stairs and looked at them. Sure enough, they were both asleep. I felt the corners of my lips turn up in a smile as I quietly went over and took the remote off the couch. I turned the TV off, and the room became darker. I went into Ukraine's room and grabbed one of the loose blankets off the bed before coming back. I gently put the blanket over them both before I planted a kiss on Ukraine's forehead. If she were awake, she probably would have swatted me away, but whatever. She's still my sister and she can deal with it. When I looked back up, I saw America smiling warmly at me from the bottom of the stairs.

"You really love her, don't you?" He asked quietly.

"Of course I do. I love both of my sisters more than anything in the world." I replied in the same tone, although it was difficult with my accent, while walking back up the stairs. I heard him follow behind me as we reached my room, and I closed the door behind us both.

"You're sweet, Russia." He said out of nowhere, sitting on my bed and smiling at me. I felt heat creeping up my neck at his comment and I awkwardly reached s hand up to tug at my collar.

"Uh... thanks..." I thought for a moment. "but you've seen me nearly hospitalize someone with one punch and you really think that?"

"Okay firstly, you kind of did hospitalize him, like not literally, but he had to go to the hospital for treatment." He snickered. "But secondly, he asked for it. I know you only did that because you were mad. And you had a right to be." He shrugged. I chewed my lip before taking my place by the window again, thinking.

"You're not so horrible, yourself, American." I felt the words slip past my mouth, but they were quiet, basically to myself. He lifted his gaze to me.

"What was that?" He asked, his face curious.

"Oh, uh... nothing."

-----
Hey all you lovely beans.

I just wanted to ask real quick:

Do you think this book is going too fast, or too slow?
Please answer that in the comments because I need answERs.

Спасибо ❤️🙏🏻✨