Chapter 27

It's 2 am bois let's do this

-----
3rd Person
-----
A few days later, America was with his friends in the hallway before the first period class rang. Venezuela was talking to Brazil as they crowded the locker, and Japan, America and Germany were talking about schoolwork. America found himself wanting to see Russia, and knew he and his siblings probably would be at school already, maybe just arriving if they weren't already wandering the halls. He continued the conversation until the face he'd been wanting to see came around the corner. He excitedly waved over at Russia, who raised his head up from the floor and saw America. He awkwardly nodded his head and continued walking. America wouldn't let him slip by that easy.

"Hey Russia, come here." He said. Russia stopped in his tracks, slowly took a step forward, looking around as if to see if he had any way of escaping the situation, and then eventually gave a sigh and walked over.

"Hallo." Germany greeted. Russia just nodded, his facial expression unreadable. America was happy he'd gotten Russia to even come over, although he knew the taller country wasn't exactly comfortable in the situation.

"How are you?" Japan asked, her tone a bit awkward although she sounded sincere. Russia awkwardly kept his arms down at his sides, fidgeting with his sleeves.

"Uh... I'm fine, I guess." He shrugged a bit. America noticed that Venezuela and Brazil had also come to an awkward silence now noticing the presence of Russia. The Slavic country desperately wanted to walk away from the awkward situation, but he felt stuck. He wasn't sure why his legs hadn't started moving yet, and so he stayed put, and eventually just looked around the hall, trying not to make eye contact with anyone.

"So..." America said slowly, noticing the atmosphere had changed. Russia opened his lips to say something and make his escape, but before anyone could actually do anything, South Korea came walking up. He waved to the group with a bright smile on his face.

Suddenly, his foot caught something, maybe even nothing, and he found himself tripping forward. Japan's and America's eyes widened, but Russia, having quick reflexes, had jumped forwards and grabbed the other country by the arms and kept him from falling. South Korea seemed surprised, as he'd expected him himself to fall. He blushed a little, embarrassed at his mistake.

"Ahh, t-thanks, Russia." He said, regaining his composure and standing next to Japan. Russia stayed silent, dropping his hands back to his sides. Japan seemed a bit thankful that South hadn't tripped. There was still awkward silence for a moment, before Brazil tried to lighten the atmosphere. Before he even uttered a word, Russia found the awkwardness too much for him and he just took a short breath and stepped back, his eyes still trained on the floor.

"I'll just... go now." He muttered, turning heel and quickly walking off. The other countries blinked, unsure what to do, and America crossed his arms with a pout.

"Well, poo." He sighed in defeat. He'd been hoping to get Russia to have a conversation with his friends, but it seemed as though that wasn't the case. He should have known better that Russia wouldn't stick around, especially if he wasn't feeling invited.

"You can always talk to him later." Venezuela shrugged. America gave a sigh.

"Yeah, I guess." He said, his tone kind of flat. Japan nudged him with her elbow in a friendly way. He looked over at her.

"Don't worry about it. It'll work out." She reassured. He gave the group a slight smile.

"Thanks, guys. I kn..." his sentence was cut short as the bell rang. Everyone looked at each other and then began to grab their things.

"See you at lunch?" South Korea asked everyone. Germany gave a nod, followed by Brazil and Venezuela smiling, then everyone else. Once the plans were confirmed, everyone headed off to class.

Time for another day of hell.

-----

Lunch came along soon enough, and all the countries were seated at their tables, eating lunch and chatting amongst themselves. For some reason, they went into a trance of chanting for Brazil to chug as much milk as he could. He drank everyone's Cartons successfully, and then he said he wasn't going to eat because he felt sick, and said he already regretted his decision. After the excitement was over, they planned out another study group session together for the weekend coming the following weekend, seeing as how they were so close to summer vacation already, they knew finals were in a few weeks. America was excited to have another study session with everyone. He enjoyed talking to his friends, and the friends of his friends, as well as hanging out around town. It was always fun. He almost immediately was debating on asking Russia, figuring the other country wouldn't want to come, but then he figured he had nothing to lose and pulled his phone out.

🇺🇸 • Hey, were planning another group studying session next weekend. Do you want to come along?

America looked around and spotted Russia at his normal table, resting his head on his palm, elbow on the table. He was holding his phone in one hand and looking at it, his earbuds in. He saw Russia was texting back.

🇷🇺 • you realize they don't want me there, right?

America chewed his lip, looking back up at Russia. He saw the Slavic country was looking at his with one eyebrow raised. America texted back.

🇺🇸 • well yes, but you aren't there for all of them. You could come for me, and Ukraine if she wants to come as well. I'm sure Canada will invite her again, and she might invite you.

🇷🇺 • idk. Maybe.
We'll see, America.

When America looked back up at Russia he saw the taller country rubbing his eyes, struggling to stay awake. He watched Russia shake his head a little, stand up from the table, and just leave the room.

🇺🇸 • how come you left?

🇷🇺 • walking, keeps me awake.

America chewed his lip while texting, everyone else at the table having their own conversation.

🇺🇸 • ah, I see... if you want we could have a sleepover after school. I could try to help with your sleeping.

🇷🇺 • i don't need your help
And if you want to hang out then sure, idrc either way

America of course wanted to sleep over. He wanted to help Russia, but he also wanted to be around him in general. He could only have so many clues as to why he wanted to be around the other country so much, but the first one that stuck out in his mind lead to a long chain of other thoughts.

Do I have a crush on Russia?

-----
Sorry guys lmao, I didn't have any other ideas on how to end the chapter. -w-
Such a stereotypical ending I know. But it's life.

Я люблю тебя- покааааа~