III

The ceremony was held in one of our ballrooms

The ceremony was held in one of our ballrooms. Due to its suddenness, the only decorations seen were on Theodora's coffin. Magnolias littered the wooden surface leading up to where the first half was open. A soft white veil separated her body from us, but we were able to peer inside. Someone was kind enough to dress her up in one of her favorite dresses: a simple white dress that reached her ankles. I had taken her pink apron she owned ever since I could remember and placed it in her motionless hands.

Orpheus cried for hours. I was the one that broke the news to him and watched as he doubled over in sobs. I cried too. We both lost someone who marked our lives forever.

After a while, Orpheus calmed down, but there were occasional silent tears that dropped from his brown orbs. I stayed beside him, holding his small hand during the entirety of the ceremony.

Philip led the ceremony, since he wasn't able to contact any of the Mystas on such short notice, and made sure to honor our dearest Theodora Banis.

Once everything was done, I willed Theodora's coffin to float outside and we all followed it. We trudged behind the palace towards our private graveyard. We passed my parents' tombstones and stopped by a large hole, previously dug up by servants.

We sang one last goodbye as the coffin hovered over the hole.

May the light rejoice,

For it can now enjoy,

Your beautiful presence.

Orpheus squeezed my hand as Theodora's coffin landed at the bottom of the hole. I wrapped my arms around him and picked him up. He circled my neck with his slender arms as everyone threw in the last bit of magnolias.

I got misty-eyed as I willed the dirt to cover the hole forever. Orpheus buried his face in my neck, and that was how we walked back inside the palace.

Everyone was crying over the loss of a wonderful woman. My tears flowed out, dropping on Orpheus' head. The royal servants offered everyone condolences, especially towards Orpheus. Once everyone finished, they went back to their duties, but I told them to take it easy. It was a day to mourn, not work.

"Queen Antonella," Orpheus said.

"Babe, you know you can just call me Ella," I told him, walking down the hallway with his body wrapped around my side. I caressed his back in circles hoping to calm down his cries.

"Sorry, Ella." He sniffled. "Am I going to have to leave the palace now that Mother is gone?"

"No, I will not allow that. I'll find a simple job for you here. Under my rule, you will not live on the streets nor in an orphanage. I swear to protect you."

He hugged me tight. The sudden wetness on my neck left me to conclude that he was crying once more. I continued walking down the halls in search of Theodora's old room, which she used to share with her son.