XIII

After calming down, I sat by the fire on my lonesome

After calming down, I sat by the fire on my lonesome. I stared at the flames for what seemed like an eternity until Jax and Orion finished skinning another animal to cook. Gaia and Kora were also preparing a broth to go with it, and were busy smashing herbs to spice it up. Seeing as I couldn't contribute, I stayed in a corner with my thoughts.

I wondered what was going on at the palace. I hoped Philip had not freaked to the point of sending out search parties to bring me back to the kingdom. My soul itched to escape and call him, but if I moved an inch, someone's eyes were on me.

I hope that after Initiation, I could find a place to call him through the brume with relevant information. But how things were playing out, I think I was going to have to call Philip as I died out on the ground with a fatal wound.

Things were not going my way.

Herc sat a couple of feet away from me. His enormous body seemed comical next to the fire. His legs were crossed as he polished his knives and daggers. It was an impressive collection. Just when I thought he was done polishing them, he took another bunch, strapped in other parts of his body to polish as well.

It almost seemed like the trope seen on brume vision. I couldn't help but laugh. Although most of his collection were pocket knives, the amount of blades he possessed was astronomical. I wondered if I needed to have as many weapons on me too.

I preferred not having that much. If I needed to have a weapon, a dagger would suffice. If I were to attack people like I did to poor Adonis, a lot of weapons would be unnecessary.

The wind picked up in the forest. The coolness wafted over all of us, raising the hairs of my arms. The flames licked the air hungrily, as if it were the tastiest treat. It bent every which way. A huge flame leaned towards me.

Its orange glowed on my face. I wondered what would happen if I counteracted it with my blue. Curiosity engulfed me, and I raised my hand. My fingers felt the comfortable heat as I reached out to touch it.

"You beat up a guy and now you want to burn yourself?" Marisole asked beside me.

"The fire is pretty," was my lame response.

"Fire is dangerous," she said, pausing after each word as if I were a child.

Not to me, I almost said. I rolled my eyes at her and fixed my stare back to the flames. They calmed down once more. The breeze had left, so the only noise going around were the other Bleeders preparing food.

My eyes found Herc once more. He continued polishing his blades oblivious to the world around him. Perhaps he let on he was oblivious, seeing as he was a dangerous man. I wouldn't want to be on his bad side.

As queen, I was on his bad side. Royals and gang members weren't exactly on good terms.

Death was lurking in every corner for me.

Orion and Jax brought in the odd animal. It wasn't a deer this time, but I couldn't really name it if I tried. The boys started skinning it before I could get a good look at it, and now it was too late to even try to figure it out. All I knew was that I needed to eat it if I wanted to survive.

I hugged my torso trying to preserve warmth as the evening got cooler. Jax tended to the meat, turning it every so often to make sure it didn't burn. Gaia was making the broth in a little corner beside Jax, mixing in the herbs she and Kora mashed up for it.

Leaning my head on my knees, I turned to see Adonis snoozing on the ground, arms crossed over his chest. The blood on his face and neck were washed away, but terrible bruising had taken its place. His right cheek and jaw were so swollen, I feared it was broken. Gaia had given him some spare medication, so his pain was numbed.

When no one was looking, I casted a healing spell. His injuries wouldn't heal completely, but the process would speed up.

It still didn't make me feel any better.

What scared me the most weren't his injuries but rather how I got carried away with my emotions.

As a royal woman, I was taught to let my emotions behind me. Any trace of emotion in front of the other royals would bring more prejudices and a bad reputation. I couldn't risk being belittled more than I already was. Whenever I had to be in front of the public, my face couldn't bear any emotions, save for a smile here and there to seem approachable.

I couldn't be described as a soulless being either.

So to let my emotions get the best of me was a realm I wasn't used to, and to think that I hurt someone because of it only told me I couldn't let my emotions lead my actions.

It wasn't smart to act while emotional. My etiquette tutors were right. To be considered a decent ruler, I had to be level-headed and stoic, unwavering to people's opinions and threats.

Turn the other cheek, always.

A lesson I had to soak up all my life.

I guess I needed another refresher on etiquette once I went back home. If I ever made it.

I stared at Herc, imagining him killing me for the thousandth time in the last few days.

Where was hope when I was trapped?

"Food is ready," Gaia announced.

Orion served me a portion of meat and handed me a misshapen wooden bowl of broth. He stared at me for a second too long. "Remember you're not here to jump on any of us," he growled.

I quirked a brow. "I beg your pardon?"

"You've been staring at Herc ever since you got here. Checking someone out isn't gonna help you pass Initiation." He scoffed, and turned to continue serving everyone else their portion.

I scoffed. "Why would I ever fancy the man who almost slit my throat? I'm here for survival, not for bodily pleasure. Check yourself."

Jax oohed from afar, but I didn't dare look at Orion again. The accusation still hung in the air, and I did not feel it fit to continue angering myself over something stupid. I couldn't let my emotions make me act out once more. I learned that the hard way.

I had to turn the other cheek.

Orion scoffed, but I didn't make another comment.

Marisole scooted beside me and started talking about something else, so the tension in the air disappeared. We ate and talked until the vermiculo set on the horizon, casting its last few red evening rays before the sky turned navy. Soon, the fire was put out and we went to our respective trees to sleep.

Hugging my bag to my chest, I hoped for better training the next day.

I woke up, startled, to Herc shaking my shoulder wildly. I thought we were in trouble.

"What is happening?" I asked groggily, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"It's time for the Initiation."