XLV

The quietude that engulfed the palace of Fortis Crystallum was like the calm before the storm

The quietude that engulfed the palace of Fortis Crystallum was like the calm before the storm. Tension affected everyone-the royals, the staff, and even the animals around. Nothing felt the same anymore.

I stayed in the room I was given by King Rasmus for the majority of my stay, but as of late it was too suffocating to be in there alone. Every once in a while I would call Philip to ask to speak to Queen Antonella. Every time I was told she wasn't available. I stopped calling when I figured she just didn't want to see me anymore. So I started going on walks around the palace.

I didn't go to forbidden wings or get in the way of any other royal. The last thing I needed was to make either Queen Talia or Prince Linus uncomfortable with my presence.

Queen Talia was a wonderful yet naive woman. She didn't seem involved with the war at all and would change the subject fairly quickly if I tried to get her input on it. She seemed like the ideal queen. Just the kind of queen King Rasmus needed beside him.

Prince Linus spent many hours of his day with his father, but if I managed to catch him making rounds through the palace, he would engage in polite conversation with me.

That was why as I roamed about, trying to keep myself busy, I wasn't at all surprised to bump into Prince Linus.

He wore a gold embroidered vest and black trousers. He was comfortable but elegant enough to show his title as royal.

"Prince Mahli, always a pleasure," he greeted. I smiled and bowed at him. Although we had the same title, I was in his territory.

"Prince Linus, what brings you roaming this afternoon?"

"Ah, just trying to keep my mind off things. Too much at the same time, you know?" He chuckled, before staring off out the window. The mountains of Fortis Crystallum were the best view from the palace. They looked mighty and powerful. "How about you?"

"I guess the same thing. This war...it can take quite a toll on you."

"And we haven't even begun with the fun." He nudged my shoulder. I chuckled knowing his words spoke horrors of truth. Although I had to start the first few sparks of war, it had yet to be ignited. "I have to give it to you, Prince Mahli. You really showed your loyalty for this war. Not everyone would have stomached that. You have my respect."

"Thank you." I stared down at my shoes recalling every single gruesome moment. I would never forget them, but they were needed. They were simple sacrifices for the greater cause. People sometimes didn't understand that in order to move forward some obstacles had to be taken out of the way.

"I can't wait until Father seizes the Inlustris. Justice will finally be served."

I looked over at him. He stared hard out the window. It was as if he imagined grabbing the Inlustris from Queen Antonella and stripping her off her power.