XXVI

The adrenaline coursing through my veins was what saved me from being captured

The adrenaline coursing through my veins was what saved me from being captured. Guards came left and right, shooting arrows and trying to grab any limb, but I managed to flee with the others. We stormed past the palace entrance, evading more guards, and, as we made it to the forest, we stripped off our guard uniforms and left them hanging from tree branches or behind random bushes.

Adonis cackled before we went back on the run. By the position of the uniforms, the rest of the gang wanted the guards to find them. And they would, but they wouldn't find us. It was like laughing in their faces saying: 'Too little too late!'

However, I didn't feel like laughing at the situation. We were almost caught. Jax was running with an arrow stuck to his calf. My body throbbed at everything I've put it through. If it weren't for the fact that Herc carried the insigne, we would've failed.

At least Marisole and I caught enough intel, but we were rudely interrupted by whoever blew our cover. I wanted to stay there longer, to know what exactly they wanted to do.

King Rasmus spoke about trying to make me look bad in the eyes of my kingdom. If there was one thing that man was good at, it was manipulating the news in his favor. It always caused problems with Father no matter how much he saw him as a friend. If King Rasmus wanted to make me look bad, then he would surely accomplish it. I wished I knew how he would do it, then I had a chance to fight it better.

"There's a cave not too far from here," Jax panted. Herc grunted and followed his directions, looping an arm around Jax's waist to keep him moving faster.

We didn't stop for a single second. My legs burned as if I had worn high heels for the first time, but the sensation crept up my back. The overwhelming feeling of wanting to lie down almost stopped me, but the fear of being caught by King Rasmus' men kept me moving forward.

After what seemed like hours, we broke out from the forest and into a giant clearing. The grass expanded everywhere around us, glowing green. Jax gasped for air as he limped forward. He pointed to a mountain on the far right side, and indeed, there was a cave. The climb was going to be strenuous, so I didn't know how Jax would be able to tag along.

A part of me wanted to flick my wrist and will his wound to start its healing process, like I did to Adonis. Light magic couldn't heal fatal wounds or illnesses, but it could accelerate the healing of minor wounds, such as deep cuts, slashes, and arrow shots. I stared at the arrow, but found myself hesitating. I did not need anyone to catch me in the act of magic. No one knew my secret, except for Marisole.

I found her stare as she panted. Her narrowed eyes scared me. I thought for sure she'd give away my true identity now that she had the chance. She knew who I was. She knew I was the queen of Potentia Flamber. The queen who wielded light magic just like her parents. She knew I could help Jax.

But she stayed quiet.

"Jax, are you sure we can get there?" Gaia asked.

"I have an arrow on my calf, not a spear through my chest. Let's not waste anymore time, you're ruining my second grand escapade." Jax hurriedly pointed to the right, limping towards the edge of the mountain.