XXXIX

Transforming myself back to Ella, the Bleeder, I replayed my own speech over and over again in my head

Transforming myself back to Ella, the Bleeder, I replayed my own speech over and over again in my head. I hoped that everyone listened to my message and were now setting their sights on the kings instead. However, I feared a retaliation on King Rasmus' part. He was the most adept at media handling than any royal.

No matter, I had to keep moving forward. Dwelling in the what if's and the endless possibilities ahead was more destructive than a war. I had a goal, and I had to reach it, not stay in a toxic cycle of overthinking.

I threw my brume projector and my mirror back into my bag, and shouldered it, ready to find the Bleeders once more. Facing the vast amount of trees, I paled, realizing I had no idea where to go. In my rush, I simply ran towards cover and made no mental notes on how to get out.

The silence of the forest was terrifying. I crouched by a tree, trying to level my breathing to come up with a plan. I couldn't just wander off into the unknown. The possibility of encountering guards with the power to discover my true identity was high on the streets. If I came face to face with King Rasmus' hounds, I would be no more. But if the Bleeders believed I escaped them, then I'd most certainly meet my end too.

In a split decision, I walked through the trees, trying to find the correct direction to where I originally came from. But everything looked the same. Countless trees leading to nowhere. I grunted, throwing my hands in the air.

This was a moment to relish my speech, not get lost in the forest of Fortis Crystallum.

I kicked at the base of a tree, frowning as nothing happened. I peered up at its large branches that seemed to reach out to the sky.

"Ella!" I heard.

I whipped my head towards the voice. I saw nothing but more trees.

"Ella!" This time I discerned the Bleeders' voices intermingling. They were searching for me.

"Where are you?" Adonis called out.

"Over here," I said.

Their voices stopped, but soon I heard their footsteps getting closer.

Soon enough, the Bleeders walked through the trees towards me. They all released a breath once they located me.

"What happened to you?" Herc scolded. I pouted as I made my way to them. "We were going crazy looking for you. You're lucky no one got to you."

"Guards were following me, so I ran," I lied. "I'm sorry."

"You missed Queen Antonella addressing the land," Marisole called out. A smirk adorned her face, and I fought to swallow down my chuckle.

"What did she say?"

"This is not a time to chat. We need to keep moving," Herc interrupted.

"Are you alright?" Adonis asked, taking one of my hands.