XLIV

Hearing the undercover agency tell me all of the horror stories about each kingdom sunk my heart deeper into my chest

Hearing the undercover agency tell me all of the horror stories about each kingdom sunk my heart deeper into my chest. When Bachus confirmed everything, I had to stop myself from tearing up. Every royal had something to hide. From Prince Linus to King Oskar, they all did something illegal.

I wasn't one to talk. I joined a rogue gang.

However, I had enough information to make a major blow against them. Although they might have more up their sleeves, knowing they had multiple weak spots was like music to my ears. Just the fact that King Oskar was tricking poor Terra Venuste into sending in their soldiers for a war they had no business in was enough to shun Validus Fulgur. It was only a matter of time until Fulgurians turned against their king.

King Rasmus was another beast on his own. He was the one who started the war after a discussion with Father. He wanted to gain control of the Inlustris. He wanted to take it from Potentia Flamber, which was the reason for the war, but Father denied his request. Flamber kings and queens were awarded the title of guardian of the Inlustris, and we were instructed to take care of the Inlustris with our lives. That was our sole purpose. But King Rasmus didn't care and wanted it all for himself.

To convince the other kings into joining his cause, he manipulated his true intentions into making it seem like it was the right thing to do. He said that the Inlustris was forged to maintain Caeleste, not Potentia Flamber, and so all kingdoms should guard the Inlustris. He painted Potentia Flamber as the greedy ones, the ones who wanted all of the power. All the other kings fell into his trap of words, and now there was war.

If he convinced King Oskar, there was no telling how easy he could convince the rest of Caeleste. (The fact that he convinced King Damian didn't faze me; that man was too gullible).

"Now we need to use all of this against them," I said. The undercover agency gave a solemn nod. "There must be a way to put this out there and take them by surprise."

"Your Majesty, the problem is we don't have concrete evidence. They could easily cover it up. King Rasmus is a master at that." Hektor ran a hand through his brown curls.

"We have to find a way to prove to the people of Caeleste that he is the monster." I stomped my feet. I stared out at the wood in front of me, focusing on the splinters and shavings slowly deteriorating from the wall.

It was easy to throw accusations in every direction, especially now, but I couldn't be careless. Although I knew the truth, I knew they were comfortable twisting my words to mean something else. Granted, that was their way of turning people against me. I was not going to risk him doing that over and over again.

"Unfortunately, a lot of people like to follow a monster instead," Alec said. "Everyone knows King Davian is at fault for Solennes Jubar's debt, yet no one tries to dethrone him. The people never riot. It always stays the same. Why would Fulgurians do the same with King Oskar? Or Crystallees with King Rasmus?"