LIX

"Your Majesty!"

"Your Majesty!"

Waking up to someone shaking my shoulder, I peeled my eyelids open to find Philip hunched over me. The lines on his face were more pronounced. His eyes widened as I sat up, surveying the area.

I was back at the library in front of the Inlustris.

Its glow swirled about, beckoning me to use it as the tool it was. I bit down on my lip and stared at the book in front of me. It lied there, closed without a title. It was just another bland book that seemed to have nothing to offer, but I knew better.

"What happened to you?" Philip exasperated. "We've been searching for you for two days. The dome is being striked as we speak."

My blood ran cold. "What!" I scrambled to my feet, careful not to slam into the Inlustris. It continued glowing cheekily. All I wanted was to put my hands over it and use it like it was intended to. It was a tool for peace, for light.

"Where is the general?" I asked, wiping my bottom from all of the dust around. "We need to plan for a surprise attack. I have a plan."

Philip reached out for my arm, steadying me. "Your Majesty..." His words trailed off.

"What is it?" I shook his hand away, sprinting towards the double doors dividing the rest of the library and the Inlustris. "We don't have time. The kings have an enormous army. We need to be smart about our approach."

Philip sighed and shook his head. I wanted to get him back to his panicked mode, to get him moving. The kings wouldn't care that we weren't ready. In fact, that's what they wanted. That way they could defeat us and take the Inlustris for themselves, and then they'll manipulate it to use it for their own greed.

I had to stop them.

The general would know how to do it effectively. With the few men we had standing, we could create a diversion, giving me enough time to use the Inlustris like Gracious told me to. Then I could defeat them and protect my kingdom like a successful queen.

It was all clear.

"Queen Antonella, all of your men have died," Philip said. I stopped as my jaw dropped slightly. I registered his words, taking my time in understanding.

"Okay, where's Uncle so we can devise a plan against them without our military?" I asked, tongue heavy inside my mouth. A tremor ran through my fingers.

I had lost an entire military. Hundreds of men fell because of the other kings, because of their illegal ways. Corruption didn't care about decency and fairness.

"Your Majesty, the general went to help the soldiers on the front lines yesterday." He straightened his vest, casting his eyes towards the dusty tiles. "He was one of the fallen."

I stared at Philip for a minute too long. And then I ran.

Cries echoed through the halls of the palace. I encountered some of my servants, all of which tried to stop me and ask what was the matter, but I didn't give them the time of day. I needed to get into my bedroom and think.

King Rasmus and his groupies had killed the last member of the Feulune family. I was now the only Feulune standing. I was alone. Almost all of the people I loved were gone, save for Philip and the royal servants.

Uncle, who looked so much like Father, was the last bit of him I had with me. Even though we weren't as close as I would've liked, he was there. I wish we could've had a stronger relationship, but everything fell on our shoulders, and now it crushed him. It crushed him and I wasn't there to help.

My feet made it to the palace entrance. The remains of the last attack were quite prominent. Burns, blood, and broken statues littered the enormous room. I stared at the face of my great grandfather's statue that rolled about. I picked it up wondering how he did everything.

He dealt with the responsibility of awakening the Inlustris and then faced struggles left and right for being chosen. He wasn't perfect, but he made this kingdom. He made my home with the help of Gracious, and now it was almost gone because of me.

I was so selfish. I was so sure I could take them. I thought going undercover was the answer to finding any weak spots, but I forgot my own kingdom was littered with those too. Instead of focusing on my weaknesses, I pretended that we were perfect and that I didn't need anything. I didn't realize we needed more reinforcements than I cared to admit.

It was foolish of me to attempt getting ahead of the game. It cost the lives of thousands of Flambers, including many of my loved ones.

The kings were right. I wasn't ready to be queen.

Gracious, I know I was selfish. I know I was a fool. But please help me protect the people that are left. Please help me become the queen I was meant to be, and let the queen before you now die out. It's time I really took the throne the right way, but I can only do so with you. If I stay the same, I will surely let the kings kill my people, and I cannot allow that. Please, I beg for your strength.

I stared at the sky. It was blocked by the ceiling of the palace, but I imagined that high saturated blue from the book dream. I knew Gracious was there. I could almost feel those big arms encircling me, comforting me, and promising me that everything would be fine.

It was hard to believe everything would be fine with the attacks and all the deaths.

Tears fell down my cheeks as I dropped to my knees, still holding my great grandfather's head. I bowed my own, letting go of the chunk of statue, and sobbed.

I was worthless alone.

"Ella?"

I looked up to see the Bleeders piled up by one of the hallways, staring at me in shock. Herc ran and kneeled beside me, wiping away my tears with his thumbs.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Everything," I whispered. "I've failed my people." I looked away unable to stare deep into his brown eyes.

"You haven't failed them yet," Herc said, hooking his finger under my chin and turning my face to his. "You're strong, Ella...er Your Majesty."

I pursed my lips. "I thought you wanted to kill me," I said.

"I do," he confessed. I scoffed, pulling away from him. "I can't pretend I don't understand your motives. We all had quite a debate. Trust me."

I gazed over at the other members. They smiled at me. Orion rubbed the back of his neck, trying to be subtle about staring at me.

"Your Majesty, no one has the guts to risk their life for their kingdom like you," Marisole spoke. "You have never failed your kingdom. You've always been trying to protect it."

"I suppose," I cried. "However, my trying wasn't strong enough. Thousands are dead. The military has all fallen, even General Feulune. I am the only line of defense."

"We're here for you," Kora kneeled next to Herc. Her doll-like eyes searched in mine. "We'll fight beside you. You can believe that more than anything. We haven't even tried to steal from you."

I choked trying not to laugh. "You wouldn't be able to even if you tried." I shook my head remembering the charms I put on every valuable item inside the palace. Anyone who tried to smuggle it wouldn't be able to get far.

"See? You're a smart queen. Show them who they're messing with."

I wiped the remaining of my tears and nodded. I knew I had Gracious' help, but I also needed to put my part and believe that I could do it. I can't doubt it. Doubt is a sign of weakness. It destroys belief. I couldn't let it inside my mind. I had to believe and win this war.

A sickening pop sounded. My eyes widened at the realization.

The dome collapsed again.

"I guess it's time to activate the only line of defense."