XLIII

The haze threw me off as I came about

The haze threw me off as I came about. I tried to stand and figure out where I was, but my body had lots of catching up to do. My eyes teared up as I gained more control of my body.

What happened?

Footsteps came closer to me. Cold hands pressed against my forehead. I groaned and tried to fight them off.

"She's awake."

"Get her the last of the antidote."

The icy sting of a needle made me gasp. More shuffling went around. There was barely any talking, so it was hard for me to understand what was going on.

"She should be fully awake in a couple of seconds," a man's voice announced.

At that, I could feel my body loosen up. My arms and legs relaxed. My vision was no longer hazy. The wooden roof came into full focus. Lanterns hung from it, casting an ominous glow.

"Our spy is awake, everyone," a woman's voice laced the air. King Oskar's mistress leaned down on top of me. Her honey blonde hair hung around my face. I grimaced.

"The spy here is you," I managed.

She retracted, looking over at what I could assume were the men who took me. If she was involved, then that meant the other fancy men were here too.

I sat up on the mattress, wincing as I grew dizzy. As expected, the men in fancy suits were standing around, staring at me.

Was I still masked after all of that?

"Who are you?" One man said, crossing his arms over his chest.

I chuckled. "Do you think I'll be talking to the people who poisoned me?"

I looked around the room, trying to find something to use against them. All I could see was an over abundance of wooden crates. Some men used them as seats.

"You look like a Flamber," another commented. I smirked knowing my mask was still on. If I made it back to the palace, I was going to have to annoy Philip about my current magic skills.

"Ah, you know your common Caeleste features. It's always nice to know." Everyone narrowed their eyes. "Now tell me. Why am I here and who are you?"

"We ask the questions around here," the mistress turned to me. "Just to remind you, you're the one taken."

"Don't you think I should know who I spied from?" I giggled at their shocked faces.

The mistress growled and pushed me back against the mattress, choking me with her right hand. "Who is your master?"

I gasped for air, scratching at her arms. She didn't stop closing her fingers around my throat.

"I'm going to ask again." Her fingers tightened their grip on my throat. I wheezed, trying to find any little bit of air. "Who is your mas—