LIV

By the time the royal cooks announced supper was ready, I was anxiously awaiting news from the general about the dome repair

By the time the royal cooks announced supper was ready, I was anxiously awaiting news from the general about the dome repair. Alas, there wasn't anything new about it, so we were still exposed to dangers at every waking moment.

I walked about the ballroom, watching my servants setting up rows of tables with the appropriate utensils and appetizers. If the war wasn't happening, I'd probably be asking what we were celebrating for. Everything looked so high in luxury, it almost made me smile.

The chandeliers were on, shining down on the room. The golden light molded with the silver and purple decorations, creating a warm ambiance around. Numerous rows of wooden tables covered what would have been the dance floor. Each table had a vase of magnolias centered to provide some type of decoration.

Even in between a war, my servants still did their job to provide the royal experience at all times. Although, they were not required to do so with everything happening.

"You've all outdone yourselves," I said. The servants all lifted their heads, smiling softly. My heart ached seeing some with bloodshot eyes. We had another death in the family.

I turned to go to the actual dining room, where I would be having supper. I specifically ordered a couple of servants to escort the Bleeders to the dining room instead of the ballroom. We needed to have a chat without being eavesdropped by other Flambers. I didn't need to panic them further.

I took one last look at the ballroom, taking in the luxury, and walked out. My only hope was that everyone appreciated the gesture. People needed comfort right now, and a carefully prepared hot meal was a step towards that.

Walking into the dining room was surreal. I remembered Mahli coming in to make sure I was alright after dealing with queen duties. I recalled the moment we received the declaration of war, and how he came to ask for my presence at supper. He was kind and treated me well. He treated me like a queen.

But it was all a lie, as I had predicted.

All those charming advances were to distract me from the reality of war.

"Your Majesty, here are the guests you specifically invited," Adrian called from the door.

The Bleeders stood behind Adrian, surrounded by my other servants and a guard at the far end. Just how I requested it.

I waved them forward, and they were escorted to their seats. The king's seat was left untouched, but I still sat at my place, at one end of the table.

Most of the Bleeders were tense as they settled. None dared speak a word, especially with the servants going about setting the table. Once every utensil was in front of us, my servants told us to wait while the food was served. I thanked them before they excused themselves, bowing before me.

When we were left alone, an odd silence engulfed all of us. I didn't know how to speak after everything. It was a shock to them. I revealed my identity as I hurdled a bomb back to where it came from. Anyone would be in a state of shock.