VI

"Who are you?"

"Who are you?"

I snapped my head to the front, staring at the biggest man I've ever seen. His long hair accentuated his sharp features. He had a strong jaw, high cheekbones, and a stare that almost turned me to stone.

"I'm...lost," was what I blurted out. I mentally cringed, but hoped that it could get them off my course.

"Lost?" The man knelt down in front of me and pressed a dagger to my throat. His breath fanned my face as he inspected me. His dark brown eyes traveled my face, taking in my made up features.

"A Flamber, huh? Why are you so far away from the town?"

I wanted to flick my wrist and make him fly off from me. Maybe even show him exactly who he was dealing with: a queen with the power to wield both light and dark magic.

The itch grew inside me, overpowering my senses. I wanted to blow up, to bring fire to the land.

But I couldn't.

"I told you."

The man quirked a brow and drew the dagger away from my throat. Unconsciously, my fingers went to touch my neck, right where the blade had pressed into my skin. There wasn't even a single scratch.

"I don't believe you." The man stood up and joined his fellow gang members as they continued to inspect me.

"You know what? Fine. You caught me. Congratulations! Do you want a prize?" The sarcasm flew out of my lips before I could comprehend it myself. I squirmed once I realized and waited for Philip to correct my attitude. Instead, I was met with silence.

I took that as my chance to stand up.

"I was trying to go to Solennes Jubar," I said as I swatted away the dirt and leaves from my behind. "Until you interrupted me."

"Feisty," someone commented behind me. I turned my head to the side, but decided against looking for the owner of the voice. I wanted to focus on getting out of there instead.

"Why do you want to run to Solennes Jubar?" The voice of a female rung in my ears, it came from beside the enormous man. "People usually run from Solennes Jubar."

I stared at this girl. The moon illuminated the fire on top of her head, and I was taken aback by the raw beauty of her face. Her sharp eyes were lined with the blackest eyeliner, highlighting her mono-lids. Her lips were plump and rosy, right underneath a flat-bridged nose. I was confused with whether to call her cute or scary beautiful, possibly both.

"A craving."

I spoke with sincerity. I had a craving in Solennes Jubar. I craved for intel, knowledge. I wanted to destroy them on the battlefield.

"Is there even a thing to crave at Solennes Jubar?" Another spoke.

"You all lack a vision," I said, gaining confidence.