Chapter Two - In a Hole in the Wall There Lived the Gryffindors

Almost immediately after McGonagall left them alone, everyone began talking. Their voices overlapped and grew louder, giving Remus a bit of a headache as his ears were very sensitive. He took a few steps to the edge of the group, wishing he could just disappear completely. Most of the students were talking about the houses, boasts about which house was best. Several arguments broke out among a few students as they began proclaiming their future house was the one to be in. Gryffindor! Hufflepuff! Ravenclaw! Slytherin!

Remus knew vaguely about the houses and their rivalries from reading Hogwarts, a History (three times) as well as a few other books. He hadn't been raised in a Hogwarts sort of home so everything really went over his head. He knew (sort of) some families were rather vehement about the houses their children were put in. House pride, and all that. Remus knew his parents didn't really care where he wound up just as long as he followed their rules, which he fully intended on doing.

McGonagall returned to fetch the students and she cast a rather despairing look towards Glasses and his wild hair, then she led the students into the Great Hall. Remus's body revolted the second he stepped inside and he stopped walking, absolute fear seizing control of his limbs. The girl behind him gave him a very gentle shove and he stumbled forward, keeping his head down, fighting off the nausea as he shuffled down the aisle with all the older students watching him. Not me, exactly, all of us... but it feels like they're all on me!

Then everyone looked at a stool with a large and ancient hat sitting on top. Nobody spoke or moved and Remus wondered what was supposed to happen next when suddenly the hat opened its brim and began singing.

"I notice all your wide-eyed faces

I know you're filled with worry!

But don't be such, just please relax

And listen to this story.

I know what's in your deepest thoughts

And the traits that you possess

It's up to me to send you off

A difficult job, I confess

There are those of you who seek the smarts

You're intelligent and you're bright!

That means you'll be in Ravenclaw

So let your minds take flight.

Or maybe you're so very brave

You're chivalrous and bold

Then to the lion-hearted Gryffindors

To the scarlet and the gold

Perhaps instead you're very cunning

And have a great ambition

Then you'll be in the tight-knit house

Of resourceful Slytherin

Last not least though there's the workers

Who give their best as they toil

The Hufflepuffs, then, is your place

If you're patient and you're loyal.

Sit right down and put me on

I know your hearts are racing...

So I'll finish up my silly song...