Chapter Thirty-Nine - Andy and Siri

Author's Note: If you would like any trigger warnings, information about sexualities or future pairings, or what will be divergent from canon please send me a PM I will be more than happy to notify you!

~*~*~*~

With the end-of-term exams coming up, Remus dove into his books more than usual. He was usually found in the library during his breaks, while after curfew saw him up in his dorm on the floor by his bed surrounded by all his schoolbooks, assignments, and the books he checked out at the library. Sirius joked he was building a fort with them when he walked in and found stacks of them in a semi-circle around him. Peter occasionally joined him, terrified he'd fail out of Hogwarts completely, but James and Sirius both swore up and down the exams weren't important, the only ones that actually mattered were the ones at the end of the school year.

Remus just rolled his eyes whenever they said this, and returned to his studying. He was mostly focusing on Defense Against the Dark Arts, going over everything for that class over and over and over again, trying to memorize every little detail, hoping Dedenne wouldn't fail him. He was pulling an average of A which was just passing. A for Acceptable. Only just barely, though. The lower end of class. The only one doing worse was Peter who occasionally surpassed Remus in grades. In fact, on Monday when Remus handed in an assignment that had been due on Wednesday, Dedenne just gave him a P out right for it being so late without even appearing to read it.

"If I'm--n-not here, should I g--give my homework to one of my friends to hand it in for me?" he asked her after class.

"That wouldn't be very fair, now, would it?" she asked, not even looking up.

Remus bit his tongue, trying his best not to argue. He wanted to shout at her, tell her he didn't deserve a P. "I... can't help... some of it being late," he finally whispered.

Dedenne stiffened, flinching back just a tiny bit, so minute that most people wouldn't have noticed. But Remus did. "That's not my fault," she replied, voice dripping with disgust.

Remus stepped back, then took another step back. Then turned, leaving the classroom, nose itching, eyes prickling. Sirius, James, and Peter were waiting for him but he pushed past them as the tears came, running as fast as he could to the nearest bathroom. Instead of just sobbing, he gave in a little to his temper, first slamming the bathroom door shut so hard that the mirrors shuddered then kicking the wall. Stupid, stupid, stupid! He flung himself into a corner, jamming his fists against the floor, breathing heavily through the snot dripping from his nose.

They came in a moment later because of course they had to follow him. The first one to see him all hunched in the far corner was Peter, who hurried over and knelt down. "Remus? What happened?" he asked. The others joined him, worried expressions on all three faces which just made him feel even worse.

Dedenne isn't being a good teacher! he thought, clenching his teeth to stop the words from coming out. It doesn't matter if she hates me, she should be FAIR! "I... got a very bad grade..." he finally said, shifting so they weren't so close. "She gave me a P just because it's late."

"But, you were visiting your sick mother," Sirius said, aghast. "Dumbles gave you permission to go, right?" Remus nodded and Sirius came even closer, sitting right next to him, his leg against Remus's leg. "Then she shouldn't..."

I KNOW! he wanted to yell. He just sucked in some air but something caught in his throat and he gave a hiccupy sort of sobby sound that he wished he hadn't made since now they were giving him pitying looks. He quickly wiped at his eyes. He shouldn't have said anything to them. He didn't want anyone to know how Dedenne treated him. Didn't want them seeing him throwing a baby fit. "It's stupid to be so upset, really. Just--"