Chapter Twenty-Nine - How To Be A Normal Human

"Astronomy is so neat, don't you think?" Lily gave a bit of a blissful sigh, as the Gryffindors headed back to their tower after class.

Remus shuffled along, really tired since he hadn't gotten a nap in the evening and hadn't slept well the night before. More nightmares. He had woken up multiple times, shaky and sweaty though thankfully not screaming. His Occlumency lesson had been pretty rough due to the full moon looming; he couldn't help dredge up memories of previous full moons. Of the pain, of the sorrow, of the transformations. Fawley had only been able to take take delving into his head about three times before she had to stop, too shaken up with thoughts of her deceased sister.

Lily continued talking, the words just barely floating into Remus's consciousness. "I think it's especially fascinating since it's one of the things magic and Muggles have in common! Learning about the stars, I mean."

"Did you l--learn about it in muggle school, then?" Remus asked with a bit of a yawn.

"Uh-huh though not as in depth as this, it was just in science class and didn't have a whole class devoted to it, but it doesn't really affect the Muggle world as much as it does the magic world."

Remus smiled. "Maybe it d-does and Muggles just d-don't realize it."

"That's true," Lily giggled. "I can't wait until class next week.."

"How c-come?"

"Oh, there will be a full moon! Surely Professor Spring will have us studying the moon that night! I love the moon. It's so pretty."

Remus kept the smile on his face while his insides turned to worms. "Y--yes," he managed to say, trying to sound innocent. "I can't w-wait either." He really hoped the others didn't put two and two together if Spring focused on the full moon with him not there.

Lily grabbed Remus's sleeve. "Did you ever see any footage of the Americans landing on the moon?"

"Huh?"

"Have wizards ever been to the moon?"

"What?"

"Muggles haven't been to the moon!" James laughed, listening in to their conversation. "What a load!"

Lily spun around. "They have so! The Americans did. Muggles go into space all the time! Have wizards really not gone in? Ooh, so Muggles are more advanced than wizards in that sense?"

There was a hush over the Gryffindors until suddenly Struthers began laughing. "She's got you there!" he said.

"Potter's right, Muggles are too--too backwards to have gone into space!" said Twycross.

"Are not!" Lily said defensively. "Muggles have gone into space a lot! Americans have walked on the moon!"

"Liar!"

"She isn't!" Struthers snapped. "Just cause wizards can't figure it out doesn't mean Muggles can't!"

"Magic is cool and all but Muggles have science!" Lily added with a stomp of her foot.

Remus stepped back as a loud argument broke out. James, Twycross, Spinnet, and Magpie--all purebloods or near enough in Spinnet's case--were the loudest on the magical side while Lily and Struthers--the only two Muggleborns in the group--argued right back. Then to Remus's surprise, Peter actually joined the Muggle side of things, saying he's seen programs about space and his Muggle grandfather showed him stuff all the time. Then Veronica McNab who had Muggle relatives joined in the Muggle side, insisting that the Muggleborns were right.