Chapter Eighty-Nine - Dedenne's Detonation

Even though they still had classes before the end of the year, Remus's study group decided to do some fun stuff outside instead of studying in the library. Pierce had a regular ol' Muggle frisbee so the lot of them went outside, throwing it at each other (which Remus completely failed at, at one point throwing it into the lake) while they talked about the exams.

It wasn't everyone in the group, thankfully. Twycross had found the game childish and left. No big loss, in Remus's opinion. Craft sat nearby to discuss the exams but didn't join in on frisbee tossing. So it was Remus, Lily, Silverlocke, Bones, Pierce, and Buckling. It was rather entertaining to see someone as elegant as Silverlocke jumping after a Muggle frisbee. His hair got loose out of the ponytail, eventually falling messily around his shoulders. Buckling had brought her phonograph player but they were listening to Muggle records from Lily and Pierce.

What would you think if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, And I'll try not to sing out of key, oh I get by with a little help of my friends!

Eventually they all collapsed down on the ground, chatting. Lily sat behind Remus, playing with his hair which felt super nice. He fought to keep his eyes open and not to lean back against her. Her fingers scraping gently against his scalp, raking through his hair... Is this what is' like to be petted? he wondered, hugging his knees while he listened to Bones tell a funny story about something that happened in the Hufflepuff dorm. Does it feel so good because I'm a canine?

That thought made him rather uncomfortable and just before he decided to pull away there was a loud explosion nearby followed by a very familiar voice shouting, "BOLLOCKS!" and then another familiar voice screaming. They all looked over to see the three other Marauders by the lake. Peter's shirt was on fire as he ran in circles before plunging into the lake. James and Sirius didn't seem too concerned they were just scratching their heads, frowning.

"They're such idiots," Craft said, cutting a dark look towards Remus.

Lily began playing with his hair again. "They are. Remus isn't."

Remus watched Peter come out of the lake and start talking to James who just shrugged, waving his hand at Sirius who gave a gesture Remus roughly translated to 'whoops'. Then all three of them looked his way. He ducked his head, hoping they wouldn't come over. He was having fun with his study group.

"What were they even trying to do?" Buckling inquired.

"I haven't the f--foggiest," Remus replied, giving a bit of a sigh as they started trooping over. Apparently they had been attempting to tie together a dozen fireworks which backfired--literally. Craft called them idiots again. James scowled at him then asked Remus for help. "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" Remus asked, not really intending to sound sassy but the rest of his study group began laughing.

Sirius raised his eyebrows while James actually looked a little taken aback. "Er, help us figure out how to make them not explode right away? Look at poor Peter." He grabbed Peter, pushing him forward. His clothes were rather singed.

Remus reluctantly got up, mostly wanting to help them before they really hurt themselves. He wound up spending the rest of the evening with them, quite pleased when they did manage to get a dozen to go off altogether, a huge shower of sparks above them just before curfew hit and they had to get back to the tower.

*

In the morning Remus felt tired. The Marauders had stayed up till nearly four in the morning down in the common room, eating candy, chatting, joking, and playing games. At least today the only thing he had to worry about was detention, though he had no idea what to even expect. He didn't get out of bed until after ten, but the other Marauders were only just waking up too so they all went down for brunch. Remus asked them what Detention Hall meant, since he hadn't even heard of that before.