Chapter Fifty-Eight - Plans and Presents

Dear Remus, 1/3/72

We've gotten you a new school bag, it's an early birthday present!! I went ahead and included your other birthday present too! Except for something you'll have to wait till your birthday to get of course. My baby is going to be twelve soon! I can't believe it! It seems like just yesterday you were born. You were such a tiny baby!

What's all this about wanting to stay at Hogwarts during the Easter holidays though? You're coming home, of course. You can do your homework here. No arguments. Besides the moon will be lasting for longer than usual, you need to be home. How did it go this time? You're still under the curse while I write this. I hope you're well enough. I wish I could be there for you! I can at least be there for you next month.

I've been thinking perhaps this summer we can take a trip to the seaside. I've been saving up some money for petrol and other things we may need. I haven't been to the ocean in so long. You don't even remember the last time we went, do you? You were three. You built a huge sandcastle then cried when the tide took it out. You've always been such a sweet, sensitive soul. I think a small trip would be nice! Even if it's just you and me. Would you like that?

Love always, Mother

Remus opened the package immediately. He had packed all his school things in a small backpack that barely fit everything, so it was a huge relief to have a proper school satchel again. The satchel looked old and a little dinged up, probably from the antique shop his father worked out. Inside was a wrapped package which he tore open without a second thought. A book, naturally.

"I thought your birthday wasn't till next week?" James asked, watching Remus.

"My other bag got ruined so my parents sent me a new one for a present," he explained as he began putting all his school stuff into the new satchel. Old-new satchel. Whatever. He read the back of the Muggle book for a synopsis (his mother always liked buying him Muggle books, a connection to her heritage) then tucked it away, excited to start reading it later.

*

Remus had missed a Defense test earlier in the week so after supper that night he had to miss Study Group yet again so he could take the test. He felt sick as he approached the classroom, not wanting to be alone with Dedenne; he was certain she was probably in a very similar mindset. He knocked at the door then jumped a little when a voice that didn't belong to Dedenne told him to come in.

It was a much older Ravenclaw student--probably a seventh year. He beamed at Remus, clearly happy about whatever was going on. "Hi! My name's Rowan Sullivan. Professor Dedenne asked me to oversee your test this evening since she's busy with something else."

Wow. Wowwwwww. "All r-right," Remus said, setting his stuff down on an empty desk. "It's just a wr--written exam?"

"And a practical one. I'm going to become an Auror and have been working closely with Professor Dedenne this year, so she trusts my judgement," he said, rubbing his hands as he spoke. "I'm getting extra credit."

"Are you gr--grading me?"

"Only the practical session," Sullivan laughed. "Let's get that out of the way, shall we?"

It was mostly a review of things he had learned--the shield spell, knockback jinx, etc, etc. Sullivan was quite impressed, and gave Remus a 100%. Remus beamed, feeling beyond pleased he finally got recognition for something in this class, and wished that Sullivan was grading the written portion as well. When he did finish the test and handed it back to Sullivan, Sullivan gazed over the answers then made a comment about how Remus must be top Defense student in his year. Remus smiled, wishing he could say yes, wishing that Dedenne was fair to him. Instead he thanked Sullivan for his help before heading on out, a little skip in his step for finally achieving an O in that class.