Chapter Eighteen - Broom Troubles

While Remus felt a little easier around Black, Potter, and Pettigrew, it didn't change his mind about being proper friends with them. He knew he couldn't and that made him feel lonelier. When they sat together at supper and they were all joking and laughing and having a good time, and actually trying their best to include Remus... it hurt more than he expected to be stiff and distant with them. None of them seemed to care though, and continued their chatting.

"Going off to your little study group?" Black asked when Remus finished eating and started shouldering his bag full of books.

"Ah, er, y--yes," he said, a bit worried they might ask to come with him. He could not imagine any of them sitting quietly in the library working on essays and helping other students with research and theories.

"Do you always go to study group?" Potter asked, adjusting his glasses.

"I t-try to," Remus said.

Potter and Black exchanged looks then Black whispered, "We can do it a different day." to which Potter whispered back, "Rather do it now."

This was not meant for Remus's ears and had been said so quietly they assumed he couldn't hear them, so he felt super awkward about the whole thing, not knowing what to say. Then Potter and Black both gave him a big grin and told him to have fun and they'd see him later.

Suspicious, Remus made his way to the library. He felt on edge as studying began and kept glancing nervously around, keeping his ears out. They're up to something, he thought and then at about six-twenty he heard a crackling sort of sound and then everyone in the group began shrieking as fireworks began going off, exploding and showering the aisles in sparks over the advanced charms section. Farrow began yelling at the top of his lungs, and other students in the library began shouting too, and Remus heard footsteps running around, then another firework went off.

"What in Merlin's name?!" Craft demanded, jerking back as a few sparks landed on their table.

There was a loud crashing sound several aisles away and then Farrow began yelling at the top of lungs at the culprits, threatening to kill them both, and telling them they were banned from the library for weeks, and McGonagall will hear about this! Then shuffling sounds and familiar giggling as Remus supposed Farrow hauled Black and Potter out of the library.

"McGonagall?" Pierce asked and then everyone looked at Remus, Evans, and Twycross. Rather, at Remus.

"Wh--what?" he asked, trying to look confused even though he knew perfectly well what was going on.

"It was Potter, wasn't it? And Black?" Twycross snarled.

"How sh--should I know?!" he demanded, cheeks going pink.

"They're your friends, aren't they?" Bones asked.

Remus shook his head. "Th-they're my dor-do-dormmates, tha--that's about it. I don't--don't know them that well. D-don't bl--blame me!" He picked his quill up and dipped it into his ink pot. "L--let's just continue..."

When Remus returned to the Gryffindor tower at seven for curfew, he went right up to the dorm and found them on Potter's bed having a rowdy game of exploding snap. They greeted Remus cheerfully then Potter asked if anything interesting happened.

Remus tossed his bag onto his bed. "Wh-what exactly were your g-goals? Why--why did you do that? What was the--point?"

"Dunno what you're yammering on about," Potter said.

Remus folded his arms and tried his best to look tough. "I'm not stupid. Who else would it have b-been?"

Black tossed a card down and it exploded. "We were trying out a timer spell," he said. "Obviously it didn't work out too well since the firecrackers went off while we were a few feet away."