Chapter Seventy - Wolfsbane

As soon as Remus went into Defense Against the Dark Arts on Wednesday he could tell Dedenne knew exactly who stole her undies. She narrowed her eyes at James and Sirius, watching them saunter to their seats. At least her annoyance was on someone else besides him for once. Or so he thought. His essay he got back was a 9%. His lowest ever. He stared at it in absolute sickness. Slowly he looked up, meeting Dedenne's furious glare. She quickly looked away. There was no explanation on the paper for why he did so horrible. A tiny part of him considered just going to McGonagall. Then slowly he folded the paper up, sticking it into his bag, wanting to just forget about it.

After class, though, she asked only to see James and Sirius behind. Remus and Peter waited across the hall, of course, and then their friends came tumbling out a moment later. She had questioned them as delicately as she could without admitting they had been hers, wanting to know if they had done it or not.

"We lost a couple points for cheekiness," Sirius said.

"You lost the points," James snickered. "Sirius told her, 'well, ma'am, you're not the Head of our House and wouldn't this fall under her jurisdiction not yours unless you've got some personal involvement?'."

Remus's hands flew to his mouth while Peter doubled over. "You didn't!" he wheezed.

"I did," Sirius reassured him. "Lost ten points for that." He pretended to hook his thumbs under some suspenders and yank them out in a proud manner. "She's not very happy at the moment."

"She completely knows it was us," said James cheerfully as he began going down the corridor, "just doesn't have the evidence to back it up. Must be driving her up the wall."

He strode ahead down the middle of the aisle in his typical arrogant manner, making other students needing to get out of the way. Even older students. Remus wasn't sure why it was that made people do this. Was it his self-assured strut? Or did most the students just see Something Special in James Potter? In any case, he plowed the way for his friends to follow--not that Sirius needed it, no he had a similar strut that made others move. Remus and Peter needed it though, hurrying behind to keep up with their cocky friends who acted like they owned the world (which they could probably afford to do so). Once Remus tried that walk. It ended up with a fifth year not even noticing him, knocking him clean off his feet. At least he apologized as he helped Remus back up. Still, it was very embarrassing and Remus quickly resumed his typical head-down, make-himself-as-small-as-possible shuffle through the school.

*

The next day in Potions it was another day of working only on ingredients, not any potions. Remus took notes while Slughorn spoke at great length about some of the ingredients they'd be using, as well as the safety measures for handling said ingredients. Finally he put out the various plants on the desks, neat little boxes with the items in their own little section so they wouldn't touch. Some of the plants were in their potions kits, but some weren't.

Remus pulled on his gloves and began methodically working, glad none of the ingredients were particularly strong smelling. One of the scents made his nose itch uncomfortably though and he kept bringing his hand up, rubbing his nose on his sleeve. Eventually his nasal cavities began almost hurting. What was causing it? Nothing seemed strong...

He pulled out the next ingredient. It was poisonous so he had to be careful. As soon as he cut in he realized it was causing the problem. Aconite, he thought as he sliced, then froze. Aconite. Monkshood.

Wolfsbane.

He stared down, swallowing very heavily. He--didn't know what it would do him exactly, just that it caused some issues for werewolves. It wasn't like silver. It wouldn't kill him. Possibly. Or did it? He couldn't remember. It might kill him if he ingested it however he wasn't sure if it did anything else. Hopefully smelling it wasn't deadly.