Chapter Fourteen - Sawdust Doesn't Make Good Candy

Black and Potter didn't seem to want to drop the fact Remus had been bullied, and in the dorm that night they questioned him once more about it, wanting to know what had been done and by who. Remus stuttered and mumbled and finally managed to get out that if they didn't leave it alone he wouldn't help them with 'the fur', speaking in code since Spinnet and Struthers were in the dorm too. That got the boys to shut up, though, and Remus studied in peace for the remainder of the evening until he was the last one to go to sleep.

Running down the corridor, high pitched laughter behind him. BABY! BABY! LION CUB! BABY! The Slytherins were chasing him and cornered him, their wands out. They shot spells at him that just made him feel a lot of pain and then Bulstrode began kicking him. BABY! BABY! they chanted. Then the poltergeist showed up and began pouring vinegar out of a watering can over Remus, chanting with them.

I'm not a baby...!!! Remus felt his dream-transformation. It didn't hurt even though it should and then he was a wolf, chasing the three Slytherins down the corridor. He chased them into Myrtle's bathroom and lunged, grabbing Avery by the ankle. Avery screamed and cried and begged Myrtle to help but she just floated near the ceiling saying bullies got what they deserved. Remus shook Avery violently, ripping his foot off, blood spraying everywhere.

They'll be shocked when they see your dead body! Myrtle laughed at Avery.

Remus stepped onto Avery and bent in, slobber and blood dripping into Avery's face. Remus opened his mouth over Avery's neck and--

Lights went on in the dorm as Remus thrashed in his bed, screaming and sobbing. "No! No! No!" he cried out, getting all tangled in his blanket and then rolling out of his bed. He just lay there panting heavily as the other five boys surrounded him. "No," he whimpered, curling.

"You okay, Lupin?" Potter crouched down, trying to get the blankets off of him. "What happened?"

"He woke us all up again, that's what happened," Spinnet complained.

Black shot Spinnet a dirty look. "I doubt he did it in purpose."

Remus finally sat up, tawny hair a total mess, tears streaking down his cheeks. He could still smell blood then realized it was his own. He had cut himself on something when he fell. He quickly pulled his hand close to his body, cupping his other hand around to hide the gash. Potter was still crouched there, blinking sleepily behind his glasses.

"You okay?" He reached out, putting a hand on Remus's shoulder. Remus gasped and pushed himself back against his bed at the touch.

"Bloody hell, this is ridiculous, this is the second time and it's only been a couple weeks!" Spinnet growled. "If he's gonna keep this up...!"

"Shut up, Spinnet!" Black snapped back. "Go back to bed!"

There was a knock at their dorm door and Pettigrew stumbled over himself to get it open. There were three boys probably a year or so older, peering in. "We heard screaming, did something happen?" asked the boy in the front.

"Nightmare," Potter said in a rather authoritative tone while Black stood rather protectively in front of Remus. "That's all."

The three boys gave another curious peek around the dorm then left. Pettigrew shut the door and scurried back to the cluster of first-years. Remus felt awful for waking up not only his own dorm but the one down the hall. Spinnet began complaining again and then stomped off to his bed. Struthers gave Remus an anxious glance then returned to bed as well.

"I'm f--fine." Remus got to his feet on his own, ignoring Potter's proffered hand. "D-d-didn't m--mean to w-w-wake you. I'm s-sss-sorry."

"Not your fault," Black replied immediately and a bit loudly for Spinnet to hear.