Chapter Seventy-Seven - Studying Is Unhealthy

After supper James and Peter went to the Gryffindor tower, Sirius went to detention, and Remus waited by the entrance to the Great Hall for Lily to come out. They had finished up eating a bit early so he sat down with his book, not seeing the words. Finally Lily came out. He rocketed to his feet, tucking the book into his bag, watching her approach him. He hoped they were going somewhere more private to talk, it seemed a little awkward to do so right there in the main, big entrance hall.

"Wanna go outside?" she asked when she finally reached him.

He followed her down a hillside, towards some tall stones whose purpose was unknown to Remus. Lily leaned against one of them, eyes locked on him as if she expected him to start. He toed the ground, no idea where to even begin. He couldn't really apologize for his friends' actions, he didn't want to apologize for what he said in the library, and it seemed odd to apologize for not stopping his friends. Also he didn't want to apologize for her being hurt cause that seemed like it shifted the blame entirely on her.

"Are you sure you're better? Cause you still look a bit... ill," Lily finally said.

"Oh. Y--yeah, I'm mostly better." He picked up a rock to study it, to give his hands something to do, to give his eyes something to look at. "You had n-n-nothing to do w--with that."

"I know." She pushed some of her hair back but the wind just whipped it back into her face. "I never really thought I did, to be honest. Black's just a total dunce. I figured he was just trying to make me mad. Or hurt me. Since I hurt you."

"I--I'm glad you d-didn't take it to heart." He turned the rock over, unable to look at her. "I--I'm sorry that I hurt you too. I mean, I... meant what I s-said but--I shouldn't have said it."

Lily came closer to him. The wind was blowing away from them however he could still easily smell the scent of strawberries that always came off of her. Shampoo? Soap? Just her natural scent? Could people naturally smell like strawberries? She also smelled like spring. Not because they were in spring and the scent was everywhere, but she smelled like spring even in the autumn and winter. A scent he couldn't really explain. Just, some people smelled like seasons. But not everyone Like James smelled like the summer--of sunshine and grass and outdoors--while Sirius and Peter didn't really remind Remus of any specific season. If he had to choose he'd probably say summer for Pete, and winter for Sirius. That'd probably be closest.

"I said stuff I shouldn't have said." She tried pushing her hair again to no avail. "I was just so furious at them. I was also angry that you didn't try to stop them but--I guess you're right. I can't imagine being able to stop those two. I--er, talked to Sev. About some of the stuff you said. He told me he did do the tongue curse in the library." She bowed her head. "I'm sorry I believed him over you."

"It's okay--"

"No it's not, you--"

"L-Lily." Finally they properly looked into each other's faces. "It r-really is okay. I was upset at th--the time but he is your f-friend, your g-good friend. It was--was either him or me."

"I should have listened to you," she replied sternly. "I shouldn't have just... assumed the worst, because of your friends." Remus raised his eyebrows and she sighed. "Just--Potter and Black do so much to him it... I guess I automatically assume he's the victim. Which... isn't right. And I'm sorry for that."

Remus toed the ground again, pushing at the grass. "Th--thank you. For the apology."

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, for... what I said to you, after the--the shampoo thing." She kicked at the ground as well, rougher than him. "It was wrong of me. I've been a crap friend."