Chapter Ten - A Wolf In Lion's Clothing

The Gryffindor and Ravenclaw first-years made their way down the long staircase. It was almost one in the morning and everyone was pretty tired, although not so tired that some of the Ravenclaws didn't have a few questions about what they saw in class.

"Hey, you're pretty smart," one of the Ravenclaw boys said to Remus, going down the stairs next to him. "Lupin, right?"

"Lupin? Aren't you the one that gave a speech about advanced magical theory on your first Charms class?" one of the Ravenclaw girls asked, glancing behind her. "Professor Flitwick was talking about it on Monday."

"How come you weren't with us?" another Ravenclaw boy asked when they reached the bottom of the staircase.

Remus clutched at his bag, terror rising in his chest at the small group of Ravenclaws that remained behind to stare at him. A handful of Ravenclaws had left as well as three of the Gryffindor girls, but he had far too big an audience still and he felt like he might vomit. Then before he could answer, Spinnet spoke up. Not in his defense. Quite the opposite. "No idea, he's definitely not very brave or Gryffindor-y that I've seen."

The Ravenclaws looked at Spinnet then back at Remus curiously. "I, er..."

"Shame Resorting isn't a thing," Spinnet then said though he looked at Black when he said it. "I think Gryffindor got a couple of accidentals."

"The Sorting Hat is never wrong," Potter said, throwing his arm around Black's shoulders.

Spinnet stepped closer to the two of them. "I think they were pity Sortings. Lupin belongs with the birds, and Black..." He gave Black a rather nasty look. "Black is a Slytherin."

Black whipped his wand out, pointing it levelly at Spinnet's face, and all the students watching gasped loudly. "You take that back!"

"Not until you've apologized to Dave."

"I have apologized!" Black snarled.

The Ravenclaws and the Gryffindor girls were watching with interest. Remus had no idea what that was about either and he took a few nervous steps back. Magic isn't allowed in the corridors, he thought, watching Black hold his wand. Please don't...!

"C'mon, Andy, he did apologize," Struthers muttered.

Spinnet looked at Black's wand then up at him. "It's not enough for what he called you. You want to duel, Black?"

"No he does not," Evans said, stepping forward. "Dueling is against the rules!"

"Careful, Evans, or he'll call you the same thing he called Dave," Spinnet sneered, glaring at Black who began trembling.

"It was an accident," he said, voice tense.

"Accident?! It wasn't anything such!" Spinnet lunged forward and grabbed Black by the collar, shoving him against the wall. "You're a Black, you don't belong in Gryffindor--"

"LET GO OF HIM!" Potter launched himself onto Spinnet's back. "HE'S APOLOGIZED!"

Spinnet stumbled back, gagging from Potter's arm crossing over his neck. Everyone was making noise and someone began chanting 'fight! fight! fight!'. Remus pressed himself against the far wall, watching in horror as Potter and Spinnet began spinning around, Spinnet trying to get him off. Potter finally fell off of him and Spinnet got his own wand out and flourished it at Potter.

"Locomotor mortis!" Spinnet said but nothing happened. Remus recognized the spell as one being down the line in Defense Against the Dark Arts.

"Stop!" Evans said, stomping her foot as Black went to help Potter up. "Stop it right now!"