Chapter Sixty - The Bat-Bogey Hex Of 72

Of course James, Sirius, and Peter all wanted to know where Remus had been the night before. They assumed he had stayed in the hospital wing for a relapse, and he just said he had gone to the hospital wing for the better part of the evening--not telling them exactly why. When Lily sat with him at breakfast he was worried she'd bring it up however she thankfully didn't.

His mother sent him a dozen double chocolate cookies for his birthday which he split up with everyone despite their protests that they were for his birthday (they reluctantly each accepted one, and only one). He made a point of giving a cookie to Lily, to show any hard feelings from the night before were gone.

Then all four of his friends let him know they got him something which made him go brilliantly red. The boys didn't have their presents with them but Lily handed him a small wrapped gift which he knew as soon as he took it that it'd be a book. She said to go ahead and open it so he did, and it was the sequel to the book she had sent him for Christmas.

"Thank you so much!" he said, and the two of them hugged, Remus ignoring the sniggers from the boys. Even after all this time they had to be immature about Remus being such good friends with a girl.

Classes went pretty well except after lunch when they were heading to Defense, a group of Slytherins pushed past them. Snape banged into Remus and whispered very softly, "Did you enjoy the cure for your stutter?" before sweeping off. Remus grit his teeth, wanting to shoot a hex at him.

"Did he say something to you?" James asked as they started walking again.

"Just insults," sighed Remus, adjusting the strap of his book satchel. "He's a git. We should do something to him." The words tumbled out before he could even think about them, then regretted it instantly.

"Yes!" James exclaimed, then immediately began plotting with Sirius and Peter, while Remus drifted off into the clouds.

What curse did he use? Remus wondered, struggling to remember the syllables that had been said. The second part had definitely been 'lock'. He'd have to do some research. He doubted he'd be able to easily find a spell just by part of the word, but narrowing it down to the effect would make it a lot quicker. My tongue got stuck to the roof of my mouth. He reached up, rubbing his throat a little. I don't know many tongue-related spells. Mimblewimble, but that's completely different.

After they left class, Remus started to split off from his friends intending to go to the library but Sirius seized hold of his arm. "Where you going? Don't you want your presents?"

Remus smiled. "Of c-course, yeah, sorry I--forgot."

"Forgot presents?" James eyed him suspiciously.

"I'm n--not used to people getting me things," he said, hoping that would be enough of an answer. It seemed to work because James linked his arm with Remus's and marched off, very excited to see Remus open his presents.

They weren't anything big (well, except for James's), but they were still very thoughtful gifts. Candy from Peter, a mug from Sirius with books printed on it (and enchanted not to break which he showed off by taking it and chucking it as hard as he could against the wall; it just bounced off. Sirius had given a mug for Peter's birthday and it had been broken by February so Remus figured that's why his was enchanted), and finally from James (who couldn't contain his excitement anymore; he just bounced around demanding Remus open his present last): Quidditch Through The Ages.

"Now you can know all about it when you come to the games!" James said the second the title came into view.

"Thank you," Remus said, smiling broadly. He didn't have any interest in Quidditch but it was a very nice gift. He would read it regardless of his feelings for the sport. He intended to learn about Quidditch over the summer to prepare for James being on the team, now at least he had a book and wouldn't have to buy one himself. "I'm n--not going to the game tomorrow though."