Chapter Thirty - Still Figuring Out This Friend Thing

November started as cold and drizzly as October ended. Remus woke up already exhausted, his bones aching slightly, as if anticipating what was to come that night. He had to force himself out of bed, to get dressed, to go to class. The previous two moons had started on a weekend day, so he hadn't had to deal with this. In Charms class they were practicing the levitation spell again, on quills now which were a bit heavier than feathers. Remus folded his arms on his desk, rested his cheek against them, watching sleepily as Lily floated their quill above them.

"Your turn," she said when she brought it back down.

"Wingardium leviosa." The quill rose a good three feet above them. He brought it down then folded his arms once more, fighting against sleep.

In Herbology he dropped one of the small potted plants they were supposed to be working with but Sprout didn't snap at him or take points away. She frowned when he dropped it then glanced at the window, as if reminding herself what time of the month it was. During lunch he did fall asleep at the table after only eating a little bit, somehow sleeping through the noise of the Great Hall. Lily woke him up for Defense Against the Dark Arts.

He knew he was allowed to skip classes if he so desired, and he was very tempted to skip this one however he forced himself to go. As soon as he stepped through the door he felt Dedenne's eyes on him. She watched him walk over to his usual desk, brow furrowed but not with worry. He kept his head up, looking at the blackboard instead of the teacher. He could practically feel the distress rolling off of her. Actually, he could smell it.

"Today class we'll be learning the shielding charm," Dedenne said, finally tearing her gaze away from the werewolf sitting a few feet away from her with the full moon only hours away. "After a small test, of course." She passed out the papers while half the class groaned. Dedenne hesitated for a split second before sliding the paper onto Remus's desk. Does she expect me to turn if she gets too close? he thought as he got his quill ready. Does she think I'll snap and just attack her?

He realized with a twist of his stomach that yes, that was exactly what she was expecting.

After the test she moved the desks to get everyone lined up with their partners. She assigned them, this time putting Remus with Magpie instead of herself, announcing their names first so he'd be clear at the other end of the room. Aka: away from her. Remus just stared at his shoes as she listed everyone else off, feeling like she was pointing an accusing finger at him. He was sorta surprised she didn't just jump ahead of things and start teaching about werewolves. She might as well, with how she was acting.

"This side will be using the shield charm first," Dedenne said. "Watch my wand movement carefully and listen. Protego. Repeat after me, without the wand movement."

"Protego," the class chanted. Peter--next to Remus--mumbled something that sounded more like 'potato'.

"Good," she said. "Now practice the wand movement. Yours won't be strong enough to do much however if you try you might be able to protect against the sparks spell. That's what I want the other line to do when I say begin. All right, everyone ready? Let's go."

Remus brandished his wand. "Verdimillious!" he said while Magpie nervously jerked her wand as she said, "Protego!" It didn't work. The sparks landed against her, doing no damage whatsoever. Remus tried again and again, until she managed to make somewhat of a shield, preventing the sparks from touching her.

After about ten more minutes Dedenne had the lines switch. "Protego," Remus said, doing the correct wand movements but being too tired to focus. He wound up still unable to do it by the time class ended. Magpie looked surprised, but Remus just shrugged, feeling his energy depleting with each second.