Chapter Sixty-Six - Tartan Knickers

James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus stayed up pretty late that night, sitting on James's bed with the curtains closed to muffle some of their chattering, sharing candy while they told stories about the holidays. James talked at great length about his fabulous birthday as well as all his presents. Then the three of them told Remus about the shenanigans they got into while he was gone. Remus just reiterated his story of working loads in the garden and not being sick at all. They were all very happy for him. The main thing, however, was the name.

"So? Did you think of something?" Sirius asked, elbowing Remus.

"Sorta." He opened a bag of candyfloss, pinching a bit off. "Maybe the Mischief Misfits?" He knew immediately they didn't like it; of course, he didn't either.

"Well..." James pulled his glasses off, cleaning the lenses with a corner of his pajama top. "It's better than any of Siri's suggestions."

"Hey!" Sirius whined, while Pete and Remus laughed. "Mine are not that bad. You are all just--just--peasants." They were laughing harder now, James doubled over, clutching his sides. Sirius folded his arms. All four of them heard Spinnet's muffled voice telling them to shut up. Sirius yanked back James's curtains. "Stuff it, Spinnet!" he snarled before shutting the curtains again.

"What if we use something with our initials?" Peter suggested hesitantly, wanting to join in.

"What, J, S, R, P?" James asked. "Jsrp?"

"Jrps," Sirius snickered and Peter's face fell a little.

"It's a good idea though," Remus said, coming to Peter's rescue. "A lot of things do that. Or use the first two letters..." He squinted, trying to figure out something that didn't sound too stupid. "Japeresi?"

Nobody spoke for a few seconds then Sirius said, "Sounds like an ailment."

"Better than Gryffin-dudes," James said then yelped as Sirius kicked him.

"Anything's better than that," Pete mumbled and got a kick as well.

"You're all being mean!" Sirius whined.

"The Japeresi Conspiracy!" Peter suddenly exclaimed.

"Oooh good one!" James said, and Pete now glowed.

Sirius frowned. "I don't like it. You know, I like one word for us." He spread his hands out slowly as his spoke, as if picturing it in the air. "Something... smooth. Mysterious. Cool."

James snorted. "Quartet of Coolness isn't one word, smooth, mysterious, or cool." That earned him another kick except this time he was laughing while he received it.

"Is today just Bully Sirius Black day or something?" Sirius complained hotly, glaring at James and Peter. "You're all being mean. Except for Remus. He's my only friend."

Remus glanced up, meeting that silvery gaze. He gave a sweet smile and said, "Quartet of Coolness sucks."

Sirius narrowed his eyes. "Traitor!" He fell back, clutching his chest. "I have no friends at all! I have been betrayed!" He rolled out of the bed, landing on the floor with a loud thud. "You're all horrible!"

"I could have told you that," Spinnet said. "Course you're the worse."

Sirius lay still on the ground then sat up, hair somehow settling down around his ears instead of sticking out everywhere which Remus thought very unfair. He had never seen Sirius's hair look less than perfect. He never saw Sirius in general looking less than perfect. Really unfair. "Back-bunched toad," Sirius sniffled out. Remus choked, diving down into the blanket to try and hide his laughter. Spinnet groaned and then went to his own bed, jerking the curtains shut. Triumphantly, Sirius returned to James's bed.