Chapter Forty-One - Slytherins Are Terrifying

Whatever Remus had been expecting, it wasn't what he went into. First of all, there were more adults there than he thought there would be, which made him extra nervous. The potions classroom had been overhauled completely, desks, chairs, everything had been spirited away, and it was now decorated in loads of green and gold. There were what looked to be Christmas tree baubles floating around near the ceiling, giving off twinkling lights, as well as smaller lights flickering about that Remus realized were faeries. There was tinkling Christmas playing from somewhere while house-elves scurried about carrying full platters or trays with drinks.

The six Gryffindors just sort of stood there for a minute until Slughorn came over, motioning for them to come in farther. "Mr. Potter! Miss Evans! Mr. Lupin! Excellent, excellent, so glad you could make it!" He didn't even say hello to the other three. "Help yourself to any of the snacks, and I've got a variety of drinks for my younger students; also, if you're looking for someone in specific..."

Slughorn put a meaty hand on James's shoulder, turning him so they could see a young, muscular man surrounded by a knot of female students, all of them hanging on his every word as he talked about Quidditch, boasting about some of the things he'd done. There were a few boys around as well, and James and Inkwood both joined the ranks, gaping up at the guy like he was a god. Sirius and Peter also ogled him with amazement.

Remus soon grew very bored of the sports talk so he and Lily backed away a little, planning on just talking to one another in a corner however they were interrupted by Snape making his appearance.

"Lily!" Snape's eyes glittered as he saw her. "You look... really nice..."

"Thank you, Severus," Lily replied, beaming. "You do too!"

Snape shuffled a little bit, ducking his head, brushing off his robes. They were fancy once, but were now rather old and faded and a little torn at the hem. The elbows were frayed, too. "Thanks," he muttered then glared at Remus, almost accusatory. "Least I had something else to wear besides the uniform."

Remus blushed while Lily took a step forward. "Please don't. You're both my fr--"

"HEY!" James and Sirius had finally torn their attention away from the Quidditch player to make their way over. "It's Snape! Wow, Snape, you look considerably less greasy! Finally get that shower, eh?" James said. Now Snape blushed, his sallow cheeks changing color.

"Don't be so rude!" Lily snapped.

"He can't help it, it's his nature," Snape sneered.

"Rather have a rude nature than a slimy one," James replied immediately.

"Come on Lily," Snape said, turning to go. "Let's chat where we've got breathing room; Potter's ego is taking up too much room here."

Lily hesitated then glanced at Remus who shrugged. He didn't care if she went off with Snape. She smiled, gave his arm a pat, then followed Snape to a corner of the room.

"What's he doing, calling her that?" James asked, watching them go.

"She went with him too," Sirius added.

"They sit together in Potions a lot," Peter reminded them.

"What's all that about, then?" James demanded.

"They're friends." Inkwood came over, a plate of snacks in one hand. "Didn't you know?"

James and Sirius stared at Inkwood then looked back over where Lily and Snape both looked happy to be in deep conversation with each other. "Ewww!" James finally breathed out. "Why?!"