Chapter Seventy-Three - The Fight

That April day they became the Marauders turned into one of those beautiful, shining days that lived on in memory. It started when James complained about not having proper piratical headgear since none of them could really figure out a good transfiguring spell until Peter eagerly made four paper pirate hats out of newspapers, a trick he had learned from his Muggle father. Remus turned them black then Sirius painted wicked looking skull and crossbones on all of them.

"A joint effort, me hearties!" James exclaimed, placing the biggest hat on his head.

"Joint? What part did you play, then?" Sirius asked.

James thought for a second as he put the hat at a jaunty angle. "Overseeing. It's what I'm good at."

They went outside into the brilliant spring sunshine, playing at being pirates around the lake, having sword fights with long sticks, then James tried to convince Sirius to jump into the lake which he nearly did until the giant squid nearly smacked him off the rock they all stood on. They all scrambled away, figuring exploring the edge of the lake would be a safer bet. They got rather near the forest and found a stream there with an old wooden bridge going across. Remus suggested they play Poohsticks then had to explain just what Poohsticks was.

"We all drop sticks in on the far side then we see which one comes out first the other." He dropped a twig in to demonstrate so they all ran around finding twigs. Remus changed them all colors so they could easily see who won (James scarlet, Sirius black, Peter yellow, Remus purple). They played twelve rounds until they got bored (Peter won with a total of four rounds, James in an annoyed last with two wins, Sirius and Remus tying with three each). That's when James got another long stick, announcing he knew where there was a dragon. Peter jumped back, terrified, while James explained it was in the forest.

"The Forbidden Forest is sorta forbidden," Remus pointed out.

"So's sneaking into the Great Hall in the middle of the night to hang up underwear," Sirius teased while Remus glowered.

"Come on, it's not far," James promised.

So Remus followed them into the woods, feeling nervous, wondering if Hagrid would appear to catch them. He kept glancing over his shoulder as the forest thickened until he couldn't really see the castle anymore. He was just about to say perhaps they should go back when James stopped, pointing with his stick towards a large bumpy rock that did look like a sleeping dragon curled up. Remus smiled. Of course.

"It's just a r--" Peter started and Sirius smacked him.

"It's a dragon," Sirius said. "A horrible dragon."

"Not just any dragon," Remus whispered, getting into the spirit. He hadn't really played pretend in a long time, and when he did he had been alone--having to pretend he had friends around him whenever he played in the garden or the woods behind his house. Now he had actual other people to adventure with. "That's a Hungarian horntail. The most dangerous, vicious dragon of them all!"

James's eyes sparkled. "Too true it is."

Sirius pulled out his wand. "Let's kill it."

They spent the next few minutes sending out as many offensive spells as they could think of, the spells bouncing harmlessly off the stone, until Sirius used the fire spell that actually left a mark on the rock. That's when he ran over, jumping on top, declaring himself the victor. The four of them flopped onto the dead dragon, rather tired now.

"Why's this place forbidden anyway?" James asked, picking up a small rock and chucking it into the trees. Then he turned to look at Remus. "You probably know, don't you?"