Chapter Forty-Four - Disease-Ridden

On Tuesday he got back the test grades for Transfiguration and History. 109%, 101% respectively. That's more like it, he thought proudly as he pinned his Transfiguration paper up on his cork board, ignoring Sirius complaining that it wasn't fair someone could get more than a hundred. In Occlumency that evening he was in such a good mood that most the memories Fawley dredged up were nice ones. Building the snowman the previous day, his friends being worried about him, opening all his presents on Christmas. He still couldn't stop her though, despite the memories being simple and easy.

However there was one memory that wasn't simply, easy, or happy. Since he was thinking a lot about Christmas... of course the memory of McGonagall's visit was brought up, and she saw his father slapping him across the face. For the first time, she broke contact with him.

"What happened?" he asked, wondering if he had managed to push her away.

Fawley's brow was very furrowed as she became tense and angry, or at least that's what Remus sensed coming from her. "Remus..." She spoke his name slowly, as if holding herself back from yelling. "Has that happened before?"

"Has wh--what happened?" he asked, confused.

Fawley's lips moved a little though no sounds came out until she managed to say, "Your father. Hitting you."

"Oh. Yes," he said, not sure why she seemed to somehow smell even angrier. Had he done something wrong?

"Remus..." she said again, clearly distressed. "I--the thing is..."

Ohhhh, he thought, realizing her problem. "I understand, Ms. Fawley."

"I was afraid that you didn't," she said softly.

"It's cause I was so, uh, casual with Professor McGonagall."

Fawley jerked back, eyes huge. "What?"

"Isn't th-that why you're so upset?" Remus looked up at her, extremely bewildered now. "Cause it isn't safe? That's w-what Dad said. I was being too--too casual about everything. I know how you feel about this, and I know safety is--"

"Remus..." Fawley trailed off then her hand went to the side of his head, however she didn't go into his memories. "Oh, my dear." Now she seemed sad which made Remus even more perplexed. "I--I think we're done for tonight."

"But--"

"It's been thirty-five minutes already. Besides, I'm not feeling well." She was lying. She was upset, extremely upset, and sad, and angry, and he had caused it. He felt so sick to his stomach.

"Ms. Fawley, p--please, I'm sorry--"

"You don't need to apologize."

Remus felt his nose beginning to itch. "I do! I don't--know what I d-did but--I'm sorry... I--"

Both her hands cupped his face suddenly, quieting him. "You have done nothing wrong," she said so intensely that he found himself unable to respond. "Don't ever forget that. Go have fun with your friends, all right? I... I'll see you next week."

"P... promise?" he whispered.

"I promise."

*

Despite the strangeness with Fawley, the unhappiness didn't really stick to him too much. On Wednesday he got more grades back: Charms, 108%, Herbology 100%, and Astronomy 100%. He was positively giddy, happily writing to his parents about how well he had done (not really talking about Defense, just sort of glossing over it). Thursday at Potions he knew that test would be on the lower side, but before he got it back he had to get through the class which turned out to be harder than he thought.