Chapter Sixty-Seven - The Panty Plot

Peter seemed quite suspicious at the fact James, Sirius, and Remus were all very exhausted Friday morning. James spread marmalade on his eggs while Sirius poured orange juice over his cereal. Remus just fell asleep on his plate shortly after, sleeping all through breakfast until Sirius shook him awake. Remus jerked upwards, grabbing his bag and hurrying along to class, forgetting entirely he still didn't have his Charms text book.

"Mr. Lupin," Flitwick said the second he stepped into the classroom. "Five points from Gryffindor for such a--a--a disarray!"

Remus glanced down at himself. His tie was extremely crooked but worse than that... the shirt peeking out under the jumper was striped. His pajama top! He had come to class WEARING HIS PAJAMA TOP?! "S--sorry." Remus crept to a desk, ignoring some of the others whispering 'Loopy', hoping Flitwick used partners today so he could use someone else's book.

Sirius plopped down next to him. "You've got jam all over your face."

"What?! Remus swiped at his cheeks, bright red jam smearing all over his sleeve. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?!" He rubbed furiously, trying to get rid of all the stuff on his face, having a feeling there were still stains there plus now his robes sleeve looked awful. "How come you look fine?" he demanded crossly.

Sirius tossed his hair back. "I suppose it's a Black's instinct to look flawless. Could do it in my sleep. You don't go down to breakfast at my house looking less than perfect unless you want--" He stopped then a shaky smile appeared on his lips as he quickly changed whatever he was going to say. "Your hair's a mess too. Did you even brush it?"

He began hastily trying to smooth down his hair, furious at himself now, face hot. Across the room Lily was staring at him with amused eyes. "You don't use your book in class, do you? Can I borrow it? I forgot mine."

"Wow! Remus Lupin forgetting a school book. Red letter day!" He pulled his Charms text out, sliding it over. "Don't you keep it in your bag?"

"I left it in the common room last night." Remus opened the book, horrified to see doodles all over the margins and even among the text. Sirius had turned an illustration of proper wand grips into something extremely dirty. "Oh--Merlin--really, Sirius?!"

Sirius just giggled. "What were you doing in the common room last night?" he teased and Remus elbowed him without even thinking about it, only later realizing how he was beginning to get more comfortable with physical contact.

"Shhh, Flitwick's about to start."

He struggled to stay awake during class then as soon as Flitwick dismissed everyone Remus handed Sirius's book back and rushed to the nearest bathroom. He did had red stains on his face. He quickly scrubbed them off as best he could then fiddled with some color changing spells trying to make his pajama top appear white. Maybe he wouldn't get into any more trouble. The best he could manage was a sort of grey with--in the right light--a faint bluish stripe. Oh well. Their next class was Herbology. You didn't need to be neat and in order for Herbology.

*

"You guys were up to something last night." Lily fell into Remus's pace as they left the greenhouses heading back to the castle. "Black and Potter could hardly stay awake during breakfast. You couldn't at all."

"I was up... studying..." Remus looked over his shoulder at his male friends following at a distance. James and Sirius kept crashing into each other, practically knocking one another over. They had gotten their energy back.

"Them? Studying?" Lily scoffed.

He smiled. "No. Me. Not them. They were... playing games." Not an entire lie. Just the game they were playing was exploring the school. "Um, I'm g--going to go change my shirt. I'll be back for some lunch quick." He jogged off, trying to go as fast as he could to the Gryffindor tower without getting caught running in the halls. He slowed down whenever he heard anyone nearby but otherwise ran (a few portraits shouted at him to slow down however he ignored them).