Chapter Twenty-Three - I Ain't Been Droppin' No Eaves

Remus didn't know a whole lot about polite wizarding society however one thing he did know was how terrible a term mudblood was and even if Black did apologize, it didn't change the fact he said it in the first place. It sort of made him cold and creeped out inside, and helped his decision of not being friends with them anymore. He wasn't sure if Pettigrew knew, but Potter did and was still friends with Black so... he was just as gross.

Monday was spent ignoring looks Black sent his way and during lunch when the three stooges tried to sit with him he actually got up and went to sit with Evans, Colgate, and Inkwood. He could see Black's puzzled face out of the corner of his eye and there was a momentary flash of guilt and then... He actually used the M word. To Struthers's FACE!

After Defense Remus was the first to leave and walked off at a quick, purposeful stride. Black easily caught up with him, grabbing hold of his arm to spin him around. "Hey, Lupin, we were going to play sphinxes again, wanna be our fourth?" Black smiled. Behind him Potter looked bored and Pettigrew looked anxious.

"No," Remus said so darkly that Potter stopped mid-yawn and snapped his mouth shut, eyes going wide. "And don't touch me." He shook Black's filthy hand off his arm and returned to his brisk pace.

"What was that about?" Potter asked when he felt Remus was far enough down the hall.

"No idea..." Black muttered.

"I think he's mad at you, he was glaring at you last night," Pettigrew said.

"Brilliant observation there," Black grumbled and Pettigrew mumbled under his breath that Remus couldn't hear. "Guess he's just in a bad mood. Come on, let's go outside then."

*

Black tried talking to Remus that evening, and again in the morning. Can't take a hint, Remus thought as he made his way to Transfiguration class. The three stooges were several paces behind Remus and he could feel Black watching him. He decided, in that moment, that Black's eyes felt different from anyone else. It gave him a sort of burning sensation. Maybe cause they almost seem silver sometimes, he thought with a slight laugh to himself, as if that could be the case (still, he had to admit, Black's eye color made him a wee bit anxious on occasion; as did Silverlocke's name. Stupid, but it's how he felt.).

After class, Remus left so quickly he forgot his text book. Grumbling to himself, he turned in the hall and headed back past the other students, surprised not to see the three idiots. He discovered why once he got to the classroom door and heard voices on the other side. Talking about him. He hesitated then bent in, listening.

"...ere's something wrong with Mr. Lupin?" McGonagall asked.

"He just acts a bit strange, Professor," Potter said. Then there was the sound of something dully thumping something else, and Potter grunted.

"We just... want to make sure he's okay," Black said in a very determined voice. "It's like... he doesn't want anyone near him, most the time."

"Sometimes he's normal, sometimes he's not," Pettigrew piped up and the same sound as before which Remus realized was probably Black elbowing his friends.

McGonagall cleared her throat. "Mr. Lupin's decisions are his, and if he wishes to be alone... that's up to him."

"So he's not from Saint Mungo's?" Pettigrew asked. "Owww! That hurt!"

"You deserved it," Black hissed.

"It is not polite to pry into others' histories, Mr. Pettigrew," McGonagall said sternly. "Nor to spread unfounded gossip. Now, I appreciate your concern for your classmate and for coming to me with your concerns, but as I said his choices are his to make, not yours." There was a clinking sort of sound and then a chair scraping. "Anything else?"