Chapter Twenty-Two - What Black Said

"It was just built over the summer..."

"It looks like it was built ages ago."

"I was talking to one of the shop keeps, he says it's haunted..."

"Haunted? But it's brand new! Even if it doesn't look it."

"No, no, yeah, I heard the same thing, I heard that the locals have heard the screams of the damned!"

"The what?!"

"Several times now. Screams of the damned."

"It's a portal to hell?"

"Who lives there?"

"Nobody knows, it just popped up one day, and has protection spells on it. Nobody can get in."

"It's all boarded up. Nobody can even see in."

"It's got private property spells on it, you can't even get close."

"Screaming, you say?"

"Yup, that's what the locals said. It's super haunted."

"What if it was built for someone to die in?"

"Who would do that?"

"Dark wizards."

"So close to Dumbledore?"

"Surely the Ministry's investigated..."

The last comment really got to Remus who was otherwise enjoying listening in to the conversation of nearby fourth years at supper. At first he was terrified, realizing the house he went to was inside Hogsmeade!!! But then amusement took over at their speculation. Then the bit about the Ministry plummeted his heart into icy water. What if someone did summon the Ministry to investigate? Why couldn't Dumbledore have had the house built deep in the woods? Again, why a house and not just a hole in the ground?!

Remus pushed his plate away, no longer hungry, and then went up to the second floor to wait across from the entrance to Dumbledore's office. He wasn't sure how long he would be waiting and realized he'd be missing the study group but after hearing all that, he needed to talk to the headmaster. He sat down on the floor and brought his knees up, propping a book open on his lap to read while he waited.

Unfortunately before Dumbledore showed up, Peeves the Poltergeist did.

"Awww lookit the little baby cub, wanting to talk to ol' Professorhead, eh?" Peeves teased and Remus drew his knees up even more, trying to ignore him. "What's wrong. Firstie-Baby? Need a diaper change?"

"That's enough, Peeves." Professor Dumbledore came around a corner and gave the poltergeist a bit of a glare. "Go on." Peeves flipped upside down and gave a raspberry before disappearing. "Mr. Lupin, is everything all right?"

Remus had scrambled to his feet, dropping his book which he quickly picked up, feeling awkward already. "Y-yes, Professor. I--I mean, I don't know. I mean... c-can we talk? Privately?"

"Sugared oranges," he said and the gargoyle stepped aside so the two of them could stand on the revolving staircase. "Don't you have study group about now?"

Remus was a little bit surprised Dumbledore knew all about that, but only a little; it was his job to know what was going on in the castle and he supposed the fact three Gryffindors, two Hufflepuffs, two Ravenclaws, and a Slytherin got together every single night in the library would have long ago reached his ears. "I'll g-go after," he said. "Th... there isn't anything wr-wrong with the study group, is there?"