Chapter Eighty-Two - Full Moon Howl

So, Remus had his first kiss. Not kiss-kiss. On the cheek. Still. He kept thinking about it all weekend, wishing he hadn't been so awkward about it. It had been gross. Just, he probably shouldn't have told her that. He wondered how his friends would have reacted. Peter would probably be super flustered. James... might be grossed out too since he hated Lily. Sirius would probably have just kissed her cheek back or something. He wondered briefly if she ever kissed Snape's cheek but then no, she said it was her first kiss so...

All weekend he had nightmares about it. The first night he had woken up screaming (he had dreamed Lily kissed his cheek but, like he had been frightened of when it happened, when her lips touched his cheek he turned into a monster, slobbering, snarling, snapping). Sirius slid into his bed, kneeling next to him, talking to him gently. Not about the nightmare since Remus acted like he couldn't remember what had woken him up, just about various things until Remus calmed down enough to go back to sleep. On Saturday and Sunday night the nightmares tore him from his sleep silently, no screams. No Sirius.

By the time classes started up on Monday he mostly shook the whole thing off. Lily wasn't acting any different, nor did she seem to expect something from him so she had been telling the truth when she said it annoyed her that her friends thought they were together. The kiss had been just what she intended it to be: teasing him.

Meanwhile the rest of the school geared up for the last game. Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw. Remus had to listen to a steady stream of Quidditch talk at breakfast and at lunch though he tuned it out for the most part, doing his best to study. At least he'd have some time on Saturday to study in comfort... and silence. He doubted a single Gryffindor would be left in the tower besides him. A whole afternoon of blissful silence. He was going to miss being able to do that when James got on the team.

"...mus?" He jumped as a hand waved between his face and the book. It was James. "I asked if you're coming to the game Saturday. Please? It's the last one!"

Remus pulled back a little, shaking his head. "No. I'm... r--really not interested. I'll go to your games though. I promise."

James wasn't appeased. "But if you come to this one I can properly explain everything."

"I'll have these two when the time comes," Remus pointed out, jerking his chin towards Sirius and Peter. "And that book you gave me. I'll be fine."

James looked extremely disappointed. "Fine," he grumbled, sticking his lower lip out in a pout. Remus felt the urge to laugh at how childish James was being however managed to keep that to himself. Across the table Sirius's eyes were twinkling in amusement. Either from Remus being stubborn or James being bratty, Remus wasn't really sure. Possibly both.

"Look at it this way," Peter said cheerfully, "Remus hates Quidditch but he's still gonna come to your games just for you."

James poked at his food, lips twitching a tad bit. "Yeah, I guess."

"Exactly," Remus chimed in. "I will one hundred percent go to your games and be cheering and... erm..." What did people do at sports? "Waving a banner. And ummm..." He tried to think. "Wear lion ears."

James looked at him. "Do you really have no idea what goes on at Quidditch games? You're just guessing, aren't you?"

Remus's cheeks went a little pink and he sniffled. "All right, so I don't. But as I said, I'll have them and I'll read the book you gave me over the summer. I'll be fine."

After lunch they headed towards Defense, Remus walking a little behind his friends as he searched through his bag for something. Sirius slowed down, matching pace. "Hey," he said, elbowing Remus gently. "You okay?"