Chapter Eighty-Three - Remus's Big Prank

Full Moon Howl had taken over the school. Remus scuffled around, head down, trying not to totally freak out as students sang about silver daggers and howled. The teachers were all really annoyed, except Professor Dedenne who just seemed super twitchy (and at one point when McGonagall passed by Remus in the halls she took him aside to see if he was okay; he lied, promising he was). At least it was rumored another big group--The Hufflepuffskeins--would be releasing a new song soon so hopefully that would erase this one.

It felt like an eternity till the weekend but finally Saturday came and the Full Moon Howl was replaced by Quidditch mania. At breakfast there were more blue-and-bronze colors than there were Gryffindor due to the fact most the Slytherins were clearly rooting for Ravenclaw to win. So that put two full houses decked out in blue and bronze, then probably a good quarter of the Hufflepuffs as well.

Partway through breakfast some older Gryffindors started shouting a changed version of the chorus to Full Moon Howl which most the other Gryffindors picked up quick enough, dozens upon dozens of voices singing, "In the brightness, a sliver of gold, my team will conqu-or! We're the beasts, little birdies, and you make me do the Gryffindor Roar!"

Remus stabbed his eggs, the fork clinking violently off the plate. At least he'd have peace in the afternoon.

As always, James made one last pitch for Remus to go with them which he turned down, then James, Sirius, and Peter gathered the giant banner they had made and joined the crowd streaming out, singing the Gryffindor Roar. Remus waited until the students thinned out then hightailed it for the tower, sighing happily at the silence. For several minutes he just lay on a couch, eyes closed, hearing only the faint crackling of the fire which was getting smaller with each passing week until it would end up just a small little bit of glowing wood as outside temperatures grew.

Nobody talking. Nobody laughing. Nobody whispering.

Nobody howling.

It was that moment he realized he never had any true quiet. Sure he could push the backgrounds sounds down well enough. And when he was in his bed with his curtains shut, that helped some. Just... not like this.

He reached up, pressing his hands gently against his ears. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to block sounds. That seemed kinda out of reach considering he was still trying to figure out how to block smells. He let his hands drop then got off the couch, getting his text books. Except studying didn't really feel very right. He knew he should. That's what he had been planning on doing. But--

All the teachers will be at the game, he realized, sitting ramrod straight. Everyone's at the game. This is the final Quidditch match. He stared at the door to the common room, wondering just how much of the castle he had to himself. He doubted Farrow had left the library and figured Filch was probably lurking somewhere.

But no other students. No teachers.

Without even thinking he put all his books aside, made sure his wand was in his pocket, then left the common room. It was almost like sneaking around at night. Everything seemed so... quiet, except for occasionally a very faint cheer. He wandered through the halls, a dim thought in the back of his head which began growing brighter and brighter until he took off running.

First stop: the library. Sure enough Farrow was there, glaring at Remus as he meekly walked in. He went as cautiously as he could into the aisles, wandering around seemingly aimlessly until he ended up in the charms section. It took a few minutes to find what he was looking for, carefully copying everything out, then put the book back where it was, looped around, emerged from the creatures section with a book on dragons for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Farrow mumbled to himself as Remus checked the book out, then left very casually. Once outside, he began running again.