Chapter 19: Confessions of the Red String

Zane didn't understand it. Why of all people would he be given the red string?

The red string helped people find their soul mates, but he believed he had neither. A soul, or a mate.

Maybe Irene sent this because he had trouble finding his soul mate? or even bothering considering he had one.

One thing he found out about it was that the string was indeed, ineradicable. He tried to cut it, but the scissors went through it as if nothing was there. He tried to rip it off, but it only stringed him along. He did everything in the book but nothing happened.

Until the next day.

...

"Welcome to the maid cafe, I'll be your waiter for today. How may I help you..." Zane murmured in his usual monotoned voice.

"Hello! I'll have the Croque Monsieur, and for m'lady, the Yogurt Parfait," the male customer said, wiggling his eyebrows at the girl in front of him.

She giggled.

"Right..." Zane said, shifting from the table.

Out of nowhere, his string appeared which stopped his track.

He growled at it. He was so annoyed by the string, he yanked on it.

CrAsH

His head lifted up by the sudden noise from the kitchen doors. Surprisedly, the string led towards there..

He pulled on it again, this time, fishing out a messy pink hair Meif'wa out of the door. Her outfit was covered in cupcake frosting.

"This has to be an mistake."

He jerked it in to be sure, but it only strung along the helpless girl across the black and white titled flooring.

They met eyes.

Zane world stopped spinning. Their strings were connected to each other's pinkies.

It turns out, when Zane yanked on it, the Meif'wa was in the middle of decorating a cupcake for display. The sudden thrust backwards made her drop it on herself and be dragged out of the kitchen.

Aphmau came out in a flash.

"Kawaii Chan! Are you all right?" Aphmau exclaimed, concerned.

Only the two lovers could see the string, everyone else was oblivious.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," she said, brushing herself off.

"Really? I literally just saw you get dragged out in thin air."

"I'm fine, Aphmau, don't worry," Kawaii chan said, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Okaayy.. but if I see that same voodoo crap again, I'm calling the police."

Aphmau smiled and went back into the kitchen with a mop and bucket.

This left Zane and Kawaii chan alone, besides the 10 other customers and employees.

"Soo... Zane, your my soulmate.." she blushed, walking closer to him.

Her head was hung down, to embrassed to face him in her state with two hands that were tingled together.

He glanced at the bright string then focused on her.

"S-Sorry if I'd cut into something, the string just got in my way and.." he paused, realizing he was apologizing to someone he never really grew up to like. Heck, they fought more than they conveyed. Though, they had some kind of connection through out Lovers Lane.

"It's okay.."

Zane shook his head. In the corner of his eye, he glanced at a figure threw the window of the kitchen.

Aphmau and Garroth was seeing this with thumps up.

Was they watching the whole time?!

Zane eyes rolled back onto Nana. He suddenly became more nervous and sweaty, as if someone was just was sucking his oxygen out of him.

He scratched his neck awkwardly, "m-maybe you'll like to... um..."

The girl's face suddenly glowed, "hang out?"

He looked at Aphmau and Garroth. Aphmau was pressing her face against the glass, making kissy faces, while Garroth just.. turned his back and pretended to make out with someone.

"Y-Yeah..." he said, blushing.

Kawaii chan grew curious of Zane's sudden blood rush and turned around to face the small group.

Aphmau had blown onto the glass, making it foggy then drawn a heart on it. Both of their initials were inside of it.

Kawaii chan's face lit up with embrassment, "G-Guys! that's so unprofessional!" she stuttered.

Although the stained pink glass was soundproof, they saw the frustrated, flustered Kawaii chan talk to them directly. Garroth just stuck out his toung and Aphmau just winked cheekily.

Kawaii chan faced Zane who had died down from embrassment.

"I'm free Saturday, you down for frozen yogurt?"

"I'd love that, Zane," she smiled, "I'll see you on Saturday."

She was ready to go back to the kitchen before Zane called out her name.

"Yes?" she said.

"I-I don't have your phone number.."

Nana grabbed some napkins and wrote down her digits with a pen in her hair.

Before she handed it to Zane, she pressed a kiss on it. Printing her cherry lipstick lips on it.

She smiled and gave it to him before scooting back into the kitchen.

Zane looked at it. A tint shade of red crossed his face.

Wait.. was he forgetting something? take orders from customers or delivering the order the couple's meal? Hm..