Chapter 22: Knight in shining.. pedals..?

Zane prepared to leave his bookmark in his book and call it a day. The sky was melting into a warm orange color with clouds that dispersed around the sky. It was going to be night soon and the park wouldn't stay open for so long. As he went to close the book, a light weight landed on his head. It was lighter than a rain drop, so it couldn't be it. He went to reach for it, but something else descended onto his page.

It was a rose petal.

He grabbed the burden from his head and studied it. It was another rose petal. Soon, rose petals were raining from the sky, landing on the ground, his book, and on his head. He looked up where they could've been coming from. They were looming from a nearby large tree which was strange. These trees didn't have any petals, only green leaves. But more was emerging from the inside of it. As he squinted his eyes, something new hung out of the tree. It was a black tail with a bow at the end.

"Is a cat stuck in a tree?" he thought. He looked around the empty park, there was no sigh of a cat owner or a concerned person as if they were looking for something. He shook his head and closed his book.

"Unresponsible pet owner," he thought to himself as he walked towards the tree to help the cat.

He had a soft spot for cute things, so you can't pretend his action was unusual.

As he traveled closer to it, an voice emanated.

"He loves me," it said. A petal flew into the air. "He loves me not." A few more petals flew into the air.

"Uh, hello?" Zane said, prying into the tree.

The mysterious talking seemed to end there as it had laid eyes on him.

"Kawaii chan?"

"Zane kun?"

"What are you doing here?" They both said at the exact same time.

He shook his head, "I come here regularly to read my book, what about you?" he cocked his head.

"Kawaii chan comes here to watch the sunset!"

He shifted his weight onto his hip, "okay, so your the petal culprit vandalizing the park with those rose petals? Huh?"

She blushed, "n-no!"

Kawaii chan was a horrible lier.

Zane lifted a eyebrow, eyeing the half ceased rose.

She noticed his suspension and quickly tried to hide her fault, only just to lose her stability.

"Gah!" she yelped.

Within a blank of a eye, something pushed Zane forward to catch the girl.

She grabbed the branch with both her arms. Zane known Kawaii chan for awhile to know that she was infirm when it it comes to holding things. She was the weak one in gym class when it came to doing push-ups back in highschool. Those twigs of hers wouldn't hold her for five seconds.

"It's alright Kawaii chan! I'll catch you!" he yelled, getting ready to catch her.

"N-No you won't! She's-"

The branch cracked, dropping the Mei'fwa into Zane's arms.

He fell with her, along with breaking her long fall.

Now she was on top of him and he was on the bottom.

"A-Am I dead..?" the girl whimpered, clenching both her eyes. She tightened her grip onto Zane's hoodie.

Zane groaned, "get off of me.."

Her eyes snapped awake.

"Oh my- Zane! I'm so so sorry for falling onto you! Oh my Irene, do you want me to call an ambulance?!" she cried.