Chapter 1 - The Dare

Castle J's POV

When I was in high school I always get excited at the thought of being in college. I mean, not that I wasn't already pursuing what I really wanted to do back then but I just wanted a new, fresher environment.

I was a child actor and then decided that wasn't really for me so I went to a vocal and dancing school, then eventually cast as an idol trainee right after middle school and that's when I learned to sing and rap. That's when I realized that I wanted to do music.

And now, halfway through my college freshman year, I wish I could go back to high school. Not that college sucks, it's just that my schedule is awfully tight going back and forth from university to the company to practice, then back to the university again to take an exam or make up for an exam I missed and it goes on and on and I'm really, really tired. Not to mention I only sleep mostly on the car ride in between.

So yeah we're preparing for our group debut and it has been going crazy lately. I just wanted a quick outlet from all this, a small distraction I can put my mind on to get a little bit entertained.

Now I'm here in the university library, sitting by the window overlooking the gates where most students are going out right now because it's kinda getting late and classes are almost over.

Yet I'm here lazing out and watching people walking in and out the univ gates when I noticed a foreign student standing timidly as if awkwardly waiting for someone to pick her up. You know what's weird is that ever since then I keep noticing that girl everywhere—the library, computer lab, the benches outside, cafeteria, and every single day I go to the university, I would see her wait at the gates for this guy which, I noticed, also foreign but he doesn't seem to go at our university.

There is one catch, though, about this girl. She is always alone.

"How come nobody speaks to her? I'm pretty sure she has people surrounding her at the start of the semester." Two of my friends just sat over with me at our usual cafeteria table.

"Who?" I asked, joining in their conversation.

"The foreign girl from the department of composition. She's not mute, is she? I mean that would suck 'cause she's really pretty." My friend, Taewoo, said while nodding at the girl at the far corner of the cafeteria, eating along with her headphones on. And yeah, you guessed right, that's the girl that kept popping in front of me for days now.

"Don't be stupid, she can't be mute," my other friend, Yongha said.

"Come on," Taewoo countered. "What classes is she in? Film making, playwriting, lyric writing, composing, pretty much everything that doesn't involve voice"

"Guys, how'd you know all these?" I asked getting confused why we are talking about this girl, which is just pretty weird for me because I've been seeing a lot of this said girl lately.

"Guys seem to be talking about her," Yongha answered. "Saying they never heard her voice. I mean, it's just stupid. I've seen her with a few girls last spring."

"But why'd you think they stopped hanging out with her?" Taewoo argued.

"Look," Yongha said. "The guys are just talking about her because she's always alone and nobody has the courage to actually talk to her because she's probably half-Korean who was raised abroad and, on top of that, she's beautiful."

"Have a point." I said, "She can't really be mute."

"Well, then," Taewoo started. "You're in composing class together. I dare you to talk to her and record her voice."

"I haven't really gotten the chance to enter that class," I said. This is true, even if I enrolled in the class, I never really met my classmates because of my stupid trainee schedule.

"This is a pretty good chance," Yongha said. "Cancel everything. Tomorrow you'll have composing to do."

 And so I did. I told the company that I need to enter the class so I'll have to skip practice for the day and I told the instructor that I will be joining them for class, just a head's up in case he forgets that I'm still enrolled to his class.