Chapter 28 - Believe

Minji's POV

When we pulled away, he squeezed me against the expanse of his chest, my feet lifting off the ground. I nuzzled into the warmth of his neck, breathing in the distinct scent of his luxurious perfume.

I rose in my toes and brushed my lips against his one more time, everything spun around me as I lingered, my fingertips skimming the firm but soft skin of his cheek.

I think I'm already tired of looking after you.

Abruptly, I pulled away, but the moment I did I regretted it. Seongjun's face was confused.

"I'm sorry." He said and I could only shake my head. "I shouldn't have..."

"No. It's fine." I blurted and lowered my head. "Really, it's fine. I'm sorry."

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I turned to look at the fireflies again but they're already gone. I tried to look anywhere but at him as I feel my burning face blaze even more. "Well," I sighed. "In case you haven't realize yet, we haven't done that before."

"Oh." He whispered and I heard a few seconds of leaves rustling.

When I faced him, the distance doubled between us and I can't help but laugh. He grinned at me and I can see from the lights of the lodge that his cheeks are also red like mine. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

"Hi." He said like it's the first time we met. Maybe it is, considering we're seeing each other now in a different light.

"Hi," I answered. I've just kissed Son Seongjun. It's enough to make me scream with joy or burst out of happiness. But there are a lot of things in my mind. "What are you doing over there? Come closer." I said.

His expression turned sheepish and it's actually a cute look on his face. "Jerry might be watching us." He whispered.

I laughed and glanced up at the balcony. There's no Jerry over there. "No, he's not." His face loosened a bit. "Are you afraid of him?"

"No." He said too quickly. I raised an eyebrow. "I mean...I think that guy won't hesitate to punch me if something bad happens to you."

"Why would he do that? It's not like you're responsible if anything bad happens to me."

"Yeah, but it feels like it is." He said.

I wanted to ask why again, but I feel like it isn't necessary. Instead, I walked towards him and slid my fingers between his, our cold hands warming from each other's touch.

He squeezed my hand as he looked at me bitterly. "I'm really sorry." He said.

"You already said that."

"Because I mean it."

"I know," I said.

He looked at me like he doesn't believe me. "Ask your questions. I promise I have good answers."

I shook my head as I smile lightly. "I'm sure you do, but it's okay."

"No." He said. "You deserve every bit of explanation about what happened and what is happening."

"What is happening?"

There was a pause as he tries to find the right words. "Well, you know how the threats stopped when we..Uhm..since that day?" He started.

I nodded. "Yeah. Part of me believed you were lying just to get away from me because we both know that would stop it."

He squeezed my hand tighter again. "I was lying. I never meant anything I said that day."