Chapter 7 - Failing avoidance

Castle J's POV

I sent Minji the demo song that my friend and I recorded last night. She wasn't able to attend the recording because she's busy. That day at the company was the last time I saw her and I somehow found myself avoiding her at the university because of what Jerry and I talked about.

That afternoon, I was rushing out the campus gates because I still have practice when, suddenly, I heard someone call my name.

"Seongjun-ah." The soft voice is, no doubt, Minji's. I turned around and smiled at her. "Are you free tonight?"

"What?" I said on impulse. She blushed.

"I-I mean," she stuttered. "I was just thinking if we could grab some dinner to celebrate our project's completion?" I'm sure I looked flustered because she added, "I-I want to treat you to something nice. You pretty much did everything."

I checked my watch to see how much time I got. I can't believe I'm thinking of risking being late to practice for her and despite what Jerry told me. "I'm sorry, do you have somewhere to go?" She asked.

I smiled at her. "No," I answered. "You're just unusually talkative today." She just shyly smiled back. "Instead of dinner, maybe we could just go grab some snacks now? I have to be at practice tonight."

She nodded and we went to a fast-food chain near the campus. I insisted on paying even though she said it's her treat, but we separately bought our own food.

When we finally sat down, both of us are quiet. It's the first time we eat with just the two of us. I had two bites of my burger when she said, "I really like the song."

"Those are your words," I answered.

"The lyrics are nothing without the music."

"No," I countered. "It's the other way around." We both grinned. "We completed it together," I added. "Don't think that I did a lot more."

"But I wrote it a few months back." She said, frowning. "You really did a lot of work for it even though you still have a lot of things to do."

She's right but I don't want her to get the wrong idea. "I enjoyed making it. It was really challenging because the genre is new to me but I'm really honored to create a song with you."

She blushed. Did something changed or is she really flustered quickly?

"If only I have a lot of time, we could've gone somewhere fancier to celebrate," I said. Only when she blushed again did I realize what I just said. I averted my eyes from hers for a few moments as I focused on my food.

"This is good enough." She said, breaking the silence again. She's getting good with conversations now and I'm becoming the awkward one. "We could save the fancy celebration when we actually release a song."

"That's a great idea," I said. "Does this mean we'll work together as professionals someday?"

"Why not?" She answered but then she became shy all of a sudden. "I mean...I'm not really that good. It will be at your disadvantage."

I shook my head mockingly. "You should really get rid of that inferiority complex. You're great the way you are."

She just smiled but I saw how she pondered what I've said.

Now that we got a little bit closer, I recognized the changes in the way she acts. Her voice is a bit louder now and she doesn't hesitate to speak anymore but what Jerry told me bothers me as I spend time with her.

"Your friends say they miss you." She said.

I laughed. "You mean Yongha and Taewoo?"

"They said it's weird they're seeing more of me than you."

"I'm sure that's weird for them," I smiled. "But we normally don't see each other much. Don't just spend time with them. Try making new friends."

"I wish that's easy," she said.

"How about joining a club?" I suggested.

She made that face again, the one she does when she's thinking hard. I can't help but smile at her. I can tell she wants to do her best and I wish I could see her progress socially.

"Jung Minji," a familiar voice said behind me. I turned around and saw Jerry. We locked gazes for a moment and I saw the disappointment in his eyes. He sighed and he moved towards our table, patting my shoulder as he passes by. "Finish that then let's go."

Minji glanced at me tentatively and I slightly nodded. I quickly finished my food and stood up before Minji finished hers.

"I should get going," I said as I made an act to look at my watch. "I still have practice to catch."

"Thanks for today," Minji said.

"I didn't do anything," I answered. "See you guys around." I nodded at Jerry and went out.