Chapter 13 - What to do?

Minji's POV

'Congrats on your pre-debut!' I texted Seongjun. He hasn't been around the campus for more than a month. They went to the US to train and to film the music video for their pre-debut song 'TOP Gang'.

I visited him a few times when they returned but he'd been so busy that we didn't have the chance to properly hang out.

Their music video had just been released a few minutes ago and I immediately texted him. Even though they already performed TOP Gang a couple of times on music shows last month, today marked their official pre-debut promotions.

It was nighttime when he replied, 'Thanks! I'll treat you to a meal after this.'

'That's a promise!' I replied back right away.

'When did I ever break a promise?' He answered and I know he's smiling as he sent it.

I thought back to those times he'd promise to do something. I smiled as I realize he kept all of them, even the ones I'd made him promise to do against his will like when I told him to put his hair up for a day and some other stupid stuff similar to that.

'Nah, you're good.' I sent. 'Sleep! You still have to get up early for tomorrow's show.'

'Alright. You too! Don't stay up too late.'

'Okay, Dad!' I teased.

'Did you just call me DAD?' I laughed at his reply.

'You sound like him!'

'Then how about this
Go sleep and dream of me!
cause I'll definitely dream about you.'

I read it again and again and no matter how many times, my heart still skips a beat. He'd never done this before. We sometimes tease each other affectionately but we never knowingly flirt. I panicked on what to reply but before I could start typing, my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I answered. It was Seongjun.

"Why aren't you replying?" He asked.

"Oh, I was dozing off." I lied.

"Hmmm.."

What is this? Didn't he realize what he just sent?

"Sorry. I should let you sleep now." He said. "Goodnight, Minji."

"Night," I answered as tiredly as I can and he hung up.

My heart was beating fast. What does this mean? My head is going crazy. It's probably nothing and I'm just overthinking. Again! This happens often with him. At times, I thought he likes me but that thought pops like a bubble in cold air when he distanced himself from me. It's like he draws a line saying we're just friends but then he does things like this and it's so confusing. One time I texted him that I was in the hospital because I sprained my wrist, he skipped practice and arrived panting and worried as if I broke an arm. He gives me even the smallest things I want and even sacrifices his time for me. But then there are times when he doesn't contact me for days and I'll be surprised to see him at the campus. Who wouldn't be confused at that?

My chain of thoughts was interrupted when my phone beeped. It was from Seongjun.

'You'll probably read this in the morning. I just want to say we should really hang out soon. Sweet dreams.'

My heart twists and I thank all my lucky stars we don't use a messaging app that shows the other person that you've read it because then I don't have to reply.

*****

There were chattering at composing class the next day and I tried to listen to what they're saying as much as I can but when I looked around, they were glancing in my direction.