Chapter 11: Following

Lennox POV

Like what my parents and I have expected, Jack Padilla is quite a difficult opponent. After all, he has been ruling over the city for two terms already. Now, he is running for his final term.

I bet that if he was ineligible to run this time because he already served three terms as a mayor, it would be his wife or some other relative that would run for mayor instead.

It's just crazy... politics in our country have really stoop down into this level. The Anti-Political Dynasty bill doesn't even mean much because selfish politicians just keep on doing whatever they want.

Politicians like Jack Padilla think it is only them or their relatives that have the right to govern a certain place. They firmly hold on to their political position at all costs not to govern and serve the people, but to be treated eternally like royalty.

Initially, I was going to re-run as a councillor in La Coron City instead. However, in the past three years where I've served here as a councillor, a spark ignited within me...

What I can do as a councillor isn't enough. I don't have the power to fully expand La Coron City to its full potential and develop it so the constituents here would not be deprived of the governance they deserve. I want to assure that they could sleep tight at night, knowing that the taxes they're paying goes back to them, through infrastructures and programs.

Most of all, I can't continue turning a blind eye to deeds of the incumbent mayor, Jack Padilla. While reviewing cases, I found out the heavily adjusted budgets he puts on frivolous projects such as 'new' elevators and 'new' buildings.

It's ridiculous! To even be the slightest of a decent politician, you would need to actually do projects that would at least benefit people... not those that would give you an opportunity to keep some money on your pockets.

As the campaign period started early, Jack Padilla was already giving out all sorts of free stuff within houses.

Since I am his only opponent, they're also mobilising all they can to oppose me.

Unlike what they're doing, throwing money around like there's no tomorrow, I have decided to approach a modern way of political campaigning that I don't think many people have done.

Instead of giving freebies, money, grocery and hosting shows with all sorts of entertainment acts, I've decided to campaign solely through my experience and advocacy. I would host campaign shows, but it's more like a seminar about the advocacies and platforms that I am planning to implement once I win the position.

Besides all, I've also decided to campaign in social media. I don't think a traditional politician or 'trapo' would realise how powerful social media is in this era.

I've only started to create my account but thankfully, I've gotten quite a lot of followers already. I guess it's also thanks to the fact that an interview of me aired in a news channel went viral.

During that time, I only got invited to the show because they found out that I was one of the descendants of Nicolas Zevallos. But thankfully, I've gotten my advocacies and purpose across which seemed to have touched quite a lot of people.

While walking through the halls, I was browsing through my Instagram feed and something in particular caught my attention.

millenu liked your post

Although it wasn't very unusual for people to continually like my posts, I felt like the name was very familiar. Where have I seen this before...

Out of curiosity, I clicked the profile '@milllenu'.

"Sir! Here's your schedule for today." someone suddenly said.

Since I was waiting for the pictures to load properly, the sudden greeting surprised me and caused me to tap something on my phone. Nevertheless, I put my phone down and turned to the person who just greeted me.

"Good. Thank you, Hugo." I said politely.

Hugo is one of the campaign assistants I have. He used to work as a law clerk under my parents and is very efficient.

"No worries. You're doing a good job, I'm sure your parents would be proud." he said as he handed me more documents and walked off.

Without him in sight, I decided to continue my walk and looked over my phone again.

The photos have already loaded and showed mostly pictures of a girl. The only picture that wasn't of herself was with her family. I held on that picture for a while to make it larger.

In an instant, I was reminded of a memory from ages ago.

Ah... right, Millen, is it? Senator Zeus Costales' granddaughter. Although I don't forget people that easily, a lot have happened for the past months so for a moment, I almost forgot that I am actually acquainted with this girl.

As I released the picture to turn it back to normal size, a sudden message popped up.

"@millenu: Hi Lennox! I was so shy about messaging you first but it seems like you've followed me ba..."

Because it was only a pop up, I didn't get to read the message fully. But why did a message from her popped up all of the sudden?

Based from what I know, I've adjusted my settings and only the few people I follow should be the ones who have access to message me here on my Instagram.

I quickly took a glance at my phone again and raised my brows a bit as I saw the words on the screen.

'Following'

Well... she even messaged me already. I guess I can't take it back, huh?