Chapter 32: Her Number

Lennox POV

Today, I had the appointment to attend a meeting held by the political party I was affiliated with, Democratic Action partylist.

For this meeting, as usual, we were only going to discuss about the current situation in the country. Also, they were going to announce a new youth leader, which was a position I once held before I formally ran for mayor.

But as fate would have it, the new youth leader looked awfully familiar.

It was the strange guy that Millen was talking to in that after-party...

I hid the annoyed feeling I had in my heart as I put up a polite smile to him. Ironically, we were also seated next to each other.

"Greetings, Mayor! I am Kyle Diaz. I have heard about your good governance and it is really, quite a heavy responsibility for me to take on the previous position you had." he formally greeted me.

I let out a polite smile at him and simply nodded.

"I am flattered, but you will do well. You don't have to put the unnecessary pressure on yourself." I replied respectfully.

After a while, we talked more and the prejudiced impression I had on him gradually lifted. This guy is diplomatic and knowledgeable. If honed properly and if he does not stray off from his ideals, he can be a great leader someday in this country.

I clenched my jaw at the thought, and reprimanded myself inwardly for having an unjust impression of him just because of my personal feelings.

But when our meal time arrived, I heard him murmur a familiar person's name in a little voice.

"Millen would like this. Have to take a picture." Kyle Diaz said to himself.

My brows furrowed as I tried to maintain the polite smile on my face. I saw Kyle Diaz take out his phone and take a 'selfie' with the dish in front of him. After doing that, he clicked a few more buttons. He had a wide grin on his face.

The dish that they served so far was only an appetiser and I had no desire to eat it. The dish was a vegetable salad dish with unfamiliar ingredients.

As someone who is a picky eater, I just ignored it and won't even bother looking at it for a second time if only I didn't see Kyle Diaz taking a picture of it.

I could have not misheard it. He definitely said that person's name. But, what could I do about it?

Just when I was busy agonising, Kyle Diaz suddenly spoke.

"By the way, Mayor Lennox, at La Coron City, are you familiar with a volunteer named Millen Yu?" Kyle suddenly said.

So indeed, it was her name that he said earlier? And looking upon the situation, how did they become so close for him to send her a picture of a mere ugly dish?

I momentarily froze upon hearing his question but maintained a polite facade.

"Yes, I am." I answered with a slight smile.

"Woah! As expected. Then, do you mind if I could have her number?" Kyle replied in an eager tone.

Even though I had a polite facade on, my jaw couldn't help but clench at what requested.

How shameless.

"I apologise, but I think that is improper. Have you not tried asking her yourself?" I tried to ask calmly.

Kyle Diaz, who was unaware, was still staring at his phone and was not even looking at me.

"Well, I've actually asked her when I met her at the national event after-party. But she didn't want to give it to me." he replied in a disappointed tone.