Chapter Eight

Aster's Pov
"You know Mason, those kill." I chuckled leaning against my locker, waiting for my troublemaker friend to grab some stuff from his locker.

Mason turned to face me, a cigarette hanging between his lips, his black lip ring hook onto his lower lip.

His black eyes locking onto me, amusement laced all around his eyes, as he spoke to me.

"You know you're like the sixth girl to tell me that, I'll be okay." He chuckled pulling it from his lips. He stuck it to rest behind his ear, and slammed his locker shut placing his arm around my neck pulling me towards him.

"You're like my best friend ever, besides, everyone does find it strange I'm friends with a Cullen." He joked his laughter filling my ears.

I rolled my eyes playfully and hummed following him to our gym class.

"Ah but that's because I find you very cool, while everyone else calls you a freak, cause I'm a freak too." I giggled feeling him ruffle my hair up smiling down at me.

"Well, I'm just glad I can help you take your mind off your silly adopted brother." He called out. On cue, we both looked down the hall were him and Bella were walking down this way, the both of them chatting.

"I can't believe you're in love with your adopted brother." He chuckled giving me that playful look.

"Oh shut up," I mumbled whining feeling eyes on the both of us but ignored it, and shook the feeling away leaning into Mason more, feeling him chuckle pressing a kiss onto my head.

"Whatever the lady says, lets head to the gym, I'm gonna die before we already enter, oh but wait, I'm already dead." He whispered amused in my ear.

The small little joke making me laugh loudly, and grab his hand pulling him with me to the entrance of the gym.

"There you go with the dead jokes, everyone doesn't need to know you're a vampire," I whispered just low enough for us to both hear.

He just flashed me a soft grin holding the door open for me, and winked allowing me to see his gold eyes hidden by the black contacts.

___________________________
Edward's Pov
Where the hell is she. I thought to myself. I usually am very collected with myself. But lately, Aster has been pushing every button that she could.

First, she started ignoring me. We barely talk like we use to. Which is irritating. Second, she hasn't let me drop her off at school, she's been letting one of her friends do it.

And third I just miss having the old her back. The one where she would come to me for protection, and ask me to stay in bed with her. In my eyes, she always will be the small little girl who was hurt and innocent.

I knew right then and there. She had my nonbeating heart from the start. She gave me a huge reason not to try and get myself killed.

I leaned against the Volvo growing more looking down, my hands in my jacket. It was five what if something bad happened to her.

I was starting to think all the very worse, deeply scolding myself for not watching her. I snapped my head up, once her thoughts starting entering my head.

She jogged her way over her backpack in her hand, she breathing heavy from all the running.

Her pounding heart filled my ears, and her sweet scent was still her own, but it was hinted with a disgusting smell. A smell of cigarettes.

I grimaced as the scent hit me full swing as she hugged tightly.

"I'm so sorry Edward, I promised I was gonna be here at four but I was hanging out with Mason, and lost track of time." She explained quickly to me giving me a smile.

She pulled away quickly getting into the passenger seat. I quickly blinked and finally processed what she said.

"W-who's Mason?" I stammered out fishing in my jean pockets for my keys grabbing them and got into the driver's seat watching her from the corner of my eye put her backpack in the back seat.

"He's one of my best friends, I haven't hung out with him cause he was out of town, and I promise you the cigarette smell isn't me, I don't smoke he does." She explained to me softly giving me a kind smile that made her brown skin glow like no other I have seen.

I scanned through her thoughts seeing she was telling the truth to my relief. My shoulders snaked back to relax.

I started driving home, chewing at my lip to ease all the painful ideas in my own head was she dating Mason? Was he making her happy? Was I really feeling jealous over a human? When I've known her way longer then he has. I know her in ways he does not. I reassured myself.

I gently cleared my throat to gain her attention feeling her beautiful hazel eyes on me.

"So how are your classes? Did you do good on your essay?" I asked her softly flicking my eyes to her for a second.

"Classes are pretty good, the essay I got an A all cause of your amazing ideas, thank you." She praised me making me smile softly.

"Your welcome, I've just never seen you, so cold Aster," I told her a certain sadness laced in my voice focusing back on the road. Tightening my grip on the wheel.

"Cold? Oh no no Edward, I'm not mad at you or anything I swear, god I'm sorry. I haven't meant to ignore you or anything. I've just been having a lot of crazy thoughts happening, and stuff going on I'm sorry." She apologized to me.

I visually relaxed my worry growing thinking she was more upset about the whole Bella and me thing.

I dropped my hand down for her and she looked down at it, before she leaned back in the seat, and laid her hand to rest in mine, slowly lacing our fingers gently.

It made me smile seeing after a while her head was resting on the window, her small snores and breathing fulfilling into the car, and the whole entire ride back, I held her hand gently in mine.