#36

⚠️

Anna's POV

"Tonight is a special night for us," dad says. He was almost finished performing and was now just speaking to the crowd, "tonight is my daughter's birthday"
Fuck. Dad I said no he turns and looks at me. I shake my head from backstage.
"She's not coming up on stage with me but I still think we should sing her happy birthday what do you think Perth? I mean she did grow up here."
The crowd cheers. Dad counts to three and everyone, the band, the crowd, everyone backstage, managers, stage hands all sing happy birthday. I record the entire thing on my phone. I smile widely at dad who smiles back at me.

@/annarurie
Thank you everyone for the birthday song. I really appreciate it ❤️

I attached the video and post it to twitter and Instagram. Likes, retweets and comments flood my phone.

———

We make our way backstage when I hear someone call out my name. I turn around and see a face I hadn't seen in over three years.
"Anna!" they say again.
"W-what?
"A? Who is that?" Dad asks me, worry in his voice.
I can't make any words come out of my mouth, I couldn't breathe, my heartbeat jumped to my throat.
"Anna?" Josh asks calmly.
"B-bio m-m-mum" I stuttered out.
"Come here darling give your mum a hug"
I step backwards, absolutely terrified. I shake my head.
"Come on love. I know you missed me"
"Please leave the premises" Patrick says.
"No. I'm here to see my daughter, come here" she holds out her arms.
"Go away. Y-you c-can't be here" I was fully shaking by this point.
"Don't talk to your mother like that"
"You aren't my mum. She is" I point over at Sarah.
"She didn't give birth to you. I did. Therefore I am your mother"
"No. You may of given birth to me, but you never treated me well. Sarah treats me a million time better than you ever did"
She evilly smiles.
"I should of killed you when I had the chance. You useless, worthless little shit." She pulls out a knife and aims it towards me. I stand there, like a deer stuck in the headlights.
Zack and three other security guys jump at her.
"You are worthless! Stupid! Everyone hates you! Your so-called 'parents' are going to give you up! All those band mates hate you! Its all for publicity! Fucking kill yourself if I can't! You don't deserve any of this!"

She keeps screaming things at me as they drag her down the hall. I crawl into a ball in the corner and cry.
She right ya know
You are worthless
You are stupid
You should of died
You deserve to die
You don't deserve any of this

Tears stream down my face as my thoughts overcome me and suffocate me. I keep shaking as dad rubs my back. I can sort of see his mouth moving through my tear filled eyes but I couldn't hear him. Only the voices.

Brendon's POV

Seeing my little girl crash to the floor after her biological mother yelled and screamed horrible things at her, broke me. She was shaking so bad. I rubbed her back.
"It's ok. She's gone. She can't hurt you. Breathe in and out. It'll be ok"
She was still shaking and not breathing correctly.
"Anna? Look at me. Breathe in," I took a breath in and she shakily copies me, "and out"
I repeat that a few times until after a while, she is sort of breathing more correctly, she was still shaking like a leaf.

I couldn't believe what her mother shouted at her and how she pulled a knife?! A knife? Who pulls a knife on someone?! Pete picks the shaking girl up and carries her to the van. People outside must of heard the commotion because outside the backstage was swarms of fans and press. Zack makes them move out the way as we get into the van.

Tears continue to fall down her face. Pete, Tyler and Gerard were trying to comfort her and the rest of the bands we still frozen with shock. None of us could believe what had just happened.
"Don't listen to her or the voices, none of it is true" Pete said.
"We need you and we love you" Tyler adds.
Gerard was rubbing her back but we could all see her visibly shaking.
"M-make it s-stop" she whispers.
Tyler and Pete share a worried glance.

We go to the hotel and I pick up Anna and carry her to our room. Pete, Gerard and Tyler follow us.

"Why? Why would she do that to Anna?" My wife whispers, silently crying. I hug her and tell her I don't know but it will be ok while the boys comfort our daughter.

Anna's POV

I wanted the voice to stop. I couldn't handle it anymore. I wanted to scream, all my thoughts were taking over me.
Useless
Ugly
Fat
Stupid
Go kill yourself already
Worthless

Tears kept streaming down my face and I couldn't stop. Gerard, Tyler and Pete were trying to get me to calm down but nothing was working.
I hear Tyler say that he's going to give me some space. He leaves the room, leaving Pete and Gerard.
Ha. He's sick of your problems
He's doing what everyone else wants to do. Leave
Soon everyone will leave and it'll only be me

"Anna? Anna please listen to me. Don't listen to any other voice. Just mine" I hear Pete say.
Pete keeps talking softly until I can stop crying. I start subconsciously scratching at my wrist. Gerard removes my hand from my arm so I can't scratch it.
"Shh. It's ok. You don't need to do that" he says softly.

Except I did. I really did.

Pete keeps talking until the voice stops. I shakily sit there and breathe.
"That's it. You can do it" Pete says.

My eyes start shutting themselves and I fall asleep in Pete's arms.

Pete's POV

This was so much worse than Sydney. She couldn't control her breathing. After what seemed like forever, she falls asleep in my arms. Me and Gerard look at each other.
"Is this what happened in Sydney?"
I nod, "yeah but this was much worse"
I look over at Brendon and Sarah. Sarah had fallen asleep after crying and Brendon looked so scared.
"Brendon? She's ok. Please breathe. We don't want you to have an anxiety attack" I say.

He takes a deep breath in and releases it.
"Sorry. I am just worried. I can't stop thinking about what could of happened if her biological mom did something with the knife" he starts crying. Gerard gets up and hugs him.
"It's ok. Nothing did happen that's the main thing. She's ok"

I place the sleeping girl in her bed and she stirs. I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to leave her alone.
"Bren? If it's ok, I'm going to stay here with Anna. She already had nightmares before this. It could trigger another one"
He gratefully smiles at me.
"Thanks Pete. I really appreciate it. You too Gerard"
I grab some cushions and a spare blanket from the couch and place them on the floor next to Anna's bed. Gerard come in and sits next to me.
"You can go back to your own room" I tell him
"No it's ok. I don't think I'll be able to sleep. Brendon's gone to sleep. I made him"
"Ok"

We quietly talk about anything. We don't mention what happened with Anna but I know that's all we were both thinking of.

———

"No. Stop. Please. Stop"

I wake to Anna mumbling in her sleep.
"Stop!" She screams. She bolts up out of bed, shaking.
I jump up off the floor and sit next to her on the bed.
"Shh. It alright nothing can hurt you"
She buried her head in my chest. I can feel her tears soak through my shirt but I don't care.
Gerard gets up and gets a bottle of water and hands it to me.
I give it to Anna who shakily takes a sip.

She doesn't say anything just buries her head in my chest again.

And you want to live forever in the lights you make
When we were young we used to say
That you only hear the music when your heart begins to break
Now we are the kids from yesterday

Gerard softly sings to her while I rub her back. Soon her breathing slows down and she falls back asleep.

I pick up my phone and realise I should message Tyler.

From me: she's ok.
From Tyler: I'm glad. Sorry I left earlier. I thought it might be best to not crowd her and Josh was having a panic attack over what happened.
From me: No that's all good. Is Josh ok?
From Tyler: yeah he fell asleep not too long ago. Are Sarah and Brendon ok?
From me: Yeah. Both of them and Anna are asleep as well. Anna had a nightmare but she has fallen back asleep

My phone says it's 2:37 but I didn't want to sleep in case something happened.
"You can sleep Pete. I'll stay awake."
"Thanks Gerard but I'm ok. I don't think I can sleep anyway"