#68

Anna's POV

"Wake up! Wake up!"

It had been a few days since the concert and we just hung out, watching all the Christmas movies that I missed out on watching. I open my eyes and check the time. It was 6am. And dad was telling me to get up?

"No, it's too early, I'm going back to sleep."
"No," he sounded like a little kid, "you must learn that on Christmas, you have to wake up early. Come on it's Christmas!"
"But it's early."
"Anna I will drag you out of this bed."
"Do it then." I say not expecting him to. I got a very big shock when the warm blankets get thrown off me, exposing me to the cold, winter air.
"Ahh it's cold. Fine, I'm up, I'm up." I groan as I get up and grab my jumper.
"Ah ha." He say evilly.
"You evil human." I laugh.

I follow dad downstairs where mum hands me a cup of coffee. I smile to say thanks and sit down on the couch and Bogart jumps on my lap. Dad hands me a wrapped parcel.
"Oh thanks dad, you didn't need to."
"Darling, it's Christmas. Of course I did."
I unwrap the present and inside was a microphone and some leads. I give dad a confused look.
"So you can record more music." He explains, "I'll show you properly how to do it."
"Thank you!" I exclaim and Bogart lifts his head confused on what was happening.
Mum hands me another present and inside was some makeup and brushes.
"Thank you!"
I open a few other presents, some fluffy socks, a fluffy blanket, a denim jacket, shoes and an art journal. I pick Bogart up off my lap, much to his annoyance, and hug both mum and dad. I run upstairs to grab the framed artwork I drew for both of them and hand it to them.
"Sorry it's not much, I didn't go and buy anything."
"Oh Anna this is amazing." Mum smiles.
"A, this is so good I love it. It can go here." Dad says and places it on the mantle place. I hug them again.

"Ok so everyone is going to start coming at around 1 so we have 6ish hours."
"Who is everyone?" I ask.
"Uh, Panic! and their families, Pete and his family, Josh and Debby, my mom and dad, Sarah's mom and dad, My Chem and their families, Zach and Kala and I think that's it."
"Ok."
"You ok?"
"Yeah I think so.l
"Alright, don't be afraid to tell me if you aren't."
"Okie."
It was odd, I wasn't actually scared about all these people. Not yet anyway.

———

"Hey mum need any help?"
"Do you think you could make a salad?"
"Sure."

There was an hour until people were due to show up and I was helping mum make food for everyone. I wasn't going to eat any of it though.
"There's a lot of food mum do we need this much?" I say looking at the 3 salads, 2 platters of meat and various desserts.
"There's about 30 people coming and if there is left overs we'll give people some to take home."
"Fair enough."

I finish the salad and help mum clean up before I go upstairs to change into some clothes that aren't pyjamas.

Hasn't every little Christmas wish been sent?
Have sugar plums been dancing in your head?
I hopetheholiday will findyou well
Oh, Noel, oh, Noel

I metyou in December '93
Noel been staying up the block with her mother's family
For two straight weeks, we ran through snow
And kissed beneath the mistletoe
And swore our love in secret company

Hasn't every little Christmas card been sent?
Has every child been tucked into their bed?
I'm hoping that this song will find you well
Oh, Noel, oh, Noel

A decade passed and letters all but died
Ten years that saw her folks divorced and best friends suicide
I'd see her on occasion looking pale and petrified
I'd wave but she would only turn and cry