Chapter 11: Don't Question It

POV: Rowan Collins

~~~

"Does anyone want to explain to me how the hell you two know each other?" I said looking between my father and this Elijah person.

My father let out a laugh before walking over to Elijah placing a hand on his shoulder and pulling him into a brief hug.

"What the hell?" I thought looking at the two men. My father is not a hugger, he barely hugs me yet when this guy shows up he becomes all touchy.

"I'm gonna ask again. How the fuck do you two know each other?" I said looking at Elijah, he seemed so familiar but I just can't put my finger on it. He gave me a smile before he turned and spoke a few hushed words to my father.

"Does she really not remember?" Elijah finally said loud enough for me to hear.

"It was a long time ago. She was barely even four when you moved." My father responded unaware that everyone in the room could hear them now.

"I'm standing right here, so could one of you answer my question?" My patience was slowly fading as I waited for one of them to speak.

"She's definitely Pen's daughter." Elijah said, shocking me for a moment. "He Knew my mother" I thought, still trying to place this man who apparently knew my dead mother. My mother, Aspen was called Pen by her close friends and somehow he knew that.

"You probably don't remember but until you were four Me and my family lived in Eaglesview, but when my wife died my daughter Maya and I moved closer to her family in California." He said looking over at Maya, the blond-haired girl I had met during class.

I thought for a moment before it finally clicked, I had seen him in multiple photos from when they were in college until around my fourth birthday witch makes sense considering what he had just told me.

I also remember many photos from my childhood that had a small blond-haired girl that I couldn't place till now.

"You're my godfather, aren't you? You were my mom's best friend." I said, giving him a smile before turning to Maya, "And we used to play together when we were little." she thought for a second before smiling and nodding her head.

"Yes, I am. I had known Pen ever since she moved to Eaglesview when she was seventeen." he said glancing over to my father.

After a couple more minutes of talking the bell rang signaling that we had to get our stuff from history.

Maya and Luke followed me as I walked out of the office and headed back towards the classroom, "So... How have you been?" Maya said staring awkwardly down at her feet as she fell into step with me.

"It's okay. You don't have to make small talk. We knew each other, but I doubt any of us really remember." I said sparing us from this very uncomfortable conversation.